Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguliar 1-12 cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RS, Apr 24, 2003.

1. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I am thinking about downsizing my rig to be more portable to either 2 112 Aggies or a 210 and 112.
    Anyone have this set up? If so what did you have before and how do you compare it?
    Is the 112 close to as bassy as the 115?
    Why are there a seemingly large number of GS 112s for sale used?

My current rig is a Demeter pre->Carvin DCM 100-> Eden 4-10 and 1-115 XLT. I play Fender and Fender style basses mostly.

Thanks

2. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    My old rig: SWR 750
    SWR Goliath Jr 2x10
    SWR Son of Bertha 1x15
    Lakland 55-94

My new Rig: Demeter HBP-1
    QSC PLX-1602
    2ea Aggie GS112's
    Lakland 55-94

IMO I prefer my Aggie cabs over my SWR cabs. I think the 2x10 and 1x15 combo is slightly tighter and more focused. But the GS112's are 1/2 the weight and size. As far as low end, a pair of GS112's put out enough low end for me with out making me wish that I still had a 1x15. I am very happy with the Aggie GS112's. A pair of GS112's has a little more umph than the Aggie GS212. The GS212 is tuned slightly higher and is not as deep (2" difference) as a GS112. I am picking up a GS212. I talked to Gard at Bass Central. He feels that with the right amount of eq'ing, you can dial in the missing thump. A new GS112 should be no more than 400 USD and a GS212 no more than 600 USD.

If you do not get the info that you are looking for, there is a lot of info about the GS112's on this board. Do a search and you will see. As far as used GS112's being plentifull, I do not think so. Every where I go (TB, HC, Bass Gear), all I see are wanted ads, not for sale ads. There are two on ebay right now. One guy is is asking 60 USD to ship though. What a f*****g jerk. It only costs 20 USD to ship coast to coast Fedex ground

3. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    BTW, I do not feel that a GS112 by it's self will be as bassy as 1x15 by it's self. However, I never liked the sound of a 1x15 by it's self anyway. I would never gig with just a 1x15. Just not my style.

4. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    No I've been completely happy with the sound of a 15 or just 10s alone.

5. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Previous rig:
    SWR Mo' Bass
    Goliath III 4x10
    Goliath Jr. III 2x10

Current rig:
    Demeter VTBP 201S
    Crest LT1500
    (2) GS 112s

There's no comparison between my old and new. The SWR gear was good but just wasn't cutting it for me. Especially in the weight/bulk to sound ratio. I'm sure that had a lot to do with the Mo' Bass head (plenty of posts about that here on TB).
    The new system is "it" for me. Light weight, portable, and the sound is much fuller and well rounded. It still maintains all of the "punch" and clarity I was used to with the SWR system but is much broader sounding in the lower mids and lows. Plenty loud too! I mean really loud! I had the money to buy whatever I wanted and the Aggies were the best buy and best sound for me.
    I think the reason you see several for sale is that they are more affordable so there are simply more of them in circulation.
    Just my opinion, but I love 'em.

6. [​IMG]

My old rig: 210 lb

Furman PL-Plus
    Korg DTR-1
    Behringer MDX2200
    Ampeg SVP-PRO
    QSC RMX2450
    Eden D-210XLT
    Eden D-115XL

My new rig: 103 lb

EA iAmp 800
    (2) Aguilar GS112

I agree with everything g4string and mjmorgan said about weight and tone. I'm very happy.

7. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Thanks for the opinions so far guys.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    holy crap, Allan!

been a while, so it was quite a shock seeing your new rig.

but, it must rock like ozzy. :bassist:

9. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Allan, I just feel that I must say that is a BEAUTIFUL picture! That is one of my favorite rig pics I've seen here.

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Because for whatever reason, they weren't doing the job for the owner. All kinds of reasons for that and most have nothing to do with the actual cabs;)

In my experience...:D

Rule number one: Two cabs is much better than one. If you're gigging in anything from a midsize room up, one cab will either have to work way too hard or may not even be able to keep up at all. I a/b'd a GS112 with an Eden D210XLT on a gig and the difference was overwhelming as far as filling the stage and being able to cut through, in the Eden's favor. Unfortunately I had issues with the D210XLT's overall tone so I moved on. YMMV.

OTOH two GS112s is a very nice combination, it's quick, can get much louder than a single, has nice mids and the low end is nice.

The 112 and 115 don't stray far from the stereotypical differences between 12's and 15's IMO. It is possible to get a fast 15 (I know, I have three), I didn't think the Aggie 115 was exceptional, though, like the 112 the price isn't bad.

A 210 and 15 combo can be nice, each cab doing a little of what the other doesn't do as well. My main rig is a local builder's small 112 and 115 cabs, both rated ~400w. This combination gives me some of the best sound I've ever heard, at ~ 75 lb. for the pair.

Just my opinion based on my experiences

11. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

An Aguilar rep at NY Guitar Boutique told me that the gs212 was tuned for a more aggressive sound than the gs112. Apparently the 112 was tuned for upright bass. Can anyone with either of these cabs comment on this?

12. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    IMO, 210's (in general) will have the same overwhelming difference over 112's in most cases.

13. hmjuice

hmjuice

May 20, 2000
    Austin, TX USA
    My rig:

Trace Elliot GP12SMX Pre
    QSC PLX2402
    (2) Aguilar GS112

My old rig:
    Eden WT800
    Eden D210XLT
    Eden D115XLT

My new rig is smaller and more effective IMO. I can play any size local club and not have a problem. They have really come in handy for the small acoustic gigs because I can take just one. I've recently added an ACME LOWB2 just to hear what the hype is about and it really adds a ton of head room with the other two cabs. I've also tried it with just one of the 12's and that is set up is really responsive.

Ask your local dealer for a demo period to hear them in a band setting, that's what sold me. Good Luck...

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    In my experience that's not true. I have played 1-12 cabs that actually could be used alone and 210's that couldn't. I won't name brand names but I'm sure some here have played underwhelming 210 cabs before. And 1-15's and 4-10's and 1-12's, etc.

It all depends on the design, construction and the components, not the driver size.

15. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    I wonder if pair of gs112 can be loud enough for bigger venues. I asked 'cause my eden 2x12" is rated 103db and still have some difficulties to hear myself on stage.

16. Thanks, jokerjkny and SoComSurfing - that's pretty high praise :)

The new rig is pretty neat. It doesn't have the midrange bark the Edens had. The two GS112s appear to have as least as much low end as the 2x10" + 1x15" they replaced - but this worries me a little bit because I think these cabs are tuned low enough that you could blow a cone across the room with a B string at high power levels - but I don't know anyone that's done that yet :)

The iAmp 800 is a real gem. At first I hated the integrated tuner but I found all it took was a little getting used to - and now it works just fine.

Volumewise it's within a couple db of the rig that was twice its size - and it should easily keep up with most anything I'm liable to get on a stage with.

I'll probably do an in-depth review next week - I'm waiting until I restring the Fodera before I do. My Lakland's got a really solid bottom end with this rig but the Fodera sounds a little farty even when set flat but I think it's a string issue. String tension on the Lakland is a fair bit higher so I want to restring the Fodera and see if that cleans things up a little. Both are 35" basses but either the Fodera's got strings that are a little soft or the Lakland's just got one hell of a strong neck.

I will say that these cabinets are tuned for low end - I think they're voiced quite a bit deeper than the Aguilar 2x12s I've played. Like I said earlier this makes me a little nervous at high volume - but rolling off the bass EQ a little when you have the amp up to 11 ought to work.

And to answer zoran's question - the little rig in the picture shouldn't have any trouble keeping up with a couple of loud g*itarists. I should get pretty close to 105db with the GS112s. How much power are you putting through that Eden cab, zoran? :D

17. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    I put in it 400W on 8 ohms and cab specification is 400w rms. I hope it's enough

18. I'm not sure it is, zoran. A pair of GS112s is louder than an Eden 212XLT and can handle half again as much power.

For me, 400w just ain't enough when playing with a couple of loud g*itarists. Cabinet efficiency is important, though. If you take something really efficient like an Eden or SWR 4x10 that puts out 106db at one watt you'd need four times the power to get the same noise out of a cabinet that only put out 100db.

19. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I am sold on using a pair of 1x12 cabs, although I have a pair each of Epifanis and Bergantinos rather than Aguilars. They like plenty of juice - I use a bridged Stewart World 1.2, which was recommended to me by the folks at Epifani. I tend to use either a single Epifani or the pair of Bergantinos.

20. billys73

billys73

Apr 25, 2003

Naw....I think you got some of the usual salesman "make it up on the spot" stuff. I had the same question and they (aguilar's 800 line) told me they were tuned the same as the 212.
    He said they will sound a little different because they project slightly differently because of the different structure of one box for two speakers, as opposed to two separate boxes. But, the goal was to make the 212 sound like two of the 112's. Same with the GS 412! I don't know about the uprite thing either, he (800 line guy) told me Gary Willis was one of the main "ears" on the cab. He no play uprite.

Hey-first post! No more lurking!