Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

aguliar gs212

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basspro2, Nov 24, 2003.

1. basspro2

basspro2 I'm seeing Gorillas...

Apr 6, 2002
    Northbridge, Mass
    Is this cab any good for bass? need some opinions before dumping some money.

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Is it "any good"??? Sure, nothing Aguilar makes is anything less than high quality. Its all upper-echelon gear.

Whether its right for your tastes and application is anybody's guess, best left to the individual.

3. T. Brookins

T. Brookins Supporting Member

Although a little pricier, you might want to consider two GS-112s. They are as portable, (one handle per hand,) and seem to sound deeper. With 12s, prepare to get a little more low mids which can be nice, controllable and take a little getting used to. For size, they will give you plenty.
    I like mine so far!

4. Lex P.

Lex P. You've got it awful loud -Kathy P. Gold Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2003
    MSP
    I have a GS212 and a GS112. Playing the GS212 alone sounds good but when combined with the GS112 it has way more depth and deep bass tone. Three 12s with 900 watts of power handling. I run my F1-X/PLX2402 in bridged mode and it sounds great. When playing alone I have the F1-X set flat with the bass boost engaged. With my band I kill the bass boost and run everything flat. It sounds wonderful. And can handle anything I throw at it. I actually had my guitar players telling me to turn down last week. That was a first.

Lex

5. vlad335

vlad335 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    Are you not putting 2400 watts to these speakers in bridge mode?

6. vlad335

vlad335 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    Are you not putting 2400 watts to these speakers in bridge mode?

7. Lex P.

Lex P. You've got it awful loud -Kathy P. Gold Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2003
    MSP
    Yeah I guess so, but I'm not running full volume from the F1-X into it. Actually only a little over 5 with passive bass's. At least it's good clean power. If I blow something up I'll just get them reconed or replaced.

8. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I own a pair of GS112's and previously owned a GS212. I prefer a pair of GS112's over the GS212. The 212 is a great cabinet. But, a pair of 112's sound deeper, have more "umph", and are easier to haul around. When you buy new the difference will be about $200. But, you can find a pair of GS112's for about $600 used. If you have any specicifc questions about the difference between the two cabs, post a question in this thread and I will respond. BTW, I prefer a pair of GS112's over my Berg 322 for my main gigging cab set-up. However, I would have prefered my Berg 322 over the previously owned GS212. Hope this helps.

9. 44me

44me

Jun 17, 2002
    Bedford, NH USA
    I've had a GS212 for a little over a year now and I think it's a fantastic cabinet! It has more depth than a lot of 15's, yet it's as punchy as many 10's. Like T mentioned, the lower mids are a little thicker than with 10's. I really like the sound although players that like a flatter, more hifi sound may not.

Someone on this site compared the GS212 to two GS112's and couldn't hear a difference. PJ from Aguilar told me that the two cabinets are tuned the same.

The GS212 is pretty easy to move around (under 70lbs), but the GS112 is under 50lbs. I saved about $160 buying the GS212 over two GS112's, but if I was going to buy it now, I think I'd spend the extra money. I play enough small room where a single GS112 would definitely do the job.

- John

10. the gs112's can handle obscene amounts of power too. Last gig I had 600 watts going into one and it handled it without so much as a fart.

11. How much money do the 2x12's go for?

12. basspro2

basspro2 I'm seeing Gorillas...

Apr 6, 2002
    Northbridge, Mass
    I found them a $599.00/e good price.

13. g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    They are NOT tuned the same. The GS112 is quite a bit deeper than the GS212. The GS212 was developed by Gary Willis and was tuned to his liking. The GS212 IS tuned to be more shallow than the GS112. If I am not mistaken, this fact is somewhere on the website.

14. g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX

Here is all I could find.

GS112 - 42hz-16khz
    102 db @ 1w-1m

GS212 - 41hz-16khz
    103 db @ 1w-1m

15. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    It's funny because when I e-mailed Aguilar asking for the difference between 2 112s and one 212, they told me the 212 would sound deaper. I've never had a chance to play the 2 112s so I can't personally comment. I do love my 212 though and have no regrets, although it should be noted that I don't play out right now so it pretty much sits in the same place. Good luck.

16. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    According to bgavin's "Musician's Reference" spreadsheet, the rolloff at those frequencies is -2db.

17. 44me

44me

Jun 17, 2002
    Bedford, NH USA
    g4string - The specs from Aguilar show nearly identical cutoff frequencies, and the 212 cabinet volume is almost exactly 2X the 112's volume. There may be subtle differences, but the biggest thing you will hear is the efficiency improvement that two drivers provide.

Smash - cutoff frequency specified at anything below -3dB is cheating. Be suspicious of any manufacturer that specs at lower levels. Regardless, the level that the cutoff frequency is specified still doesn't tell you how the speaker rolls off. Better (more controlled) cabinets will roll off more gradually than ones that have been tweaked to get the lowest possible cutoff frequency. Often this results in a little bit higher cutoff frequency, but a better sounding cabinet.

18. g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I own a pair of 112's and used to own a 212. The pair of 112's was deeper, louder, and most pleasent to the ear than the 212 ever was. The differences between the 212 and a pair of 112's were not at all subtle. They were close, but not subtle. I could always tell the difference in tone when using either the 212 or a pair of 112's. Both sounded good. But, I prefer a pair of 112's. That is why I no longer own the 212.

It is hard to compare the 212 to the 112. You have to compare the 212 to a pair of 112's.

19. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    From the Acme website:

+/-3 dB 41Hz to 22 kHz -6 dB at 31 Hz

I don't think that's meaningless - it shows the the cab is 'flat' from low E to the upper limit of hearing and is only -6dB down at low B (which room reinforcement will often make up for). Andy states that below low B the response rolls off very rapidly (i.e. it's the cutoff point) and the speaker is acoustically unloaded and at risk of over-excursion if driven hard.

Alex

20. 44me

44me

Jun 17, 2002
    Bedford, NH USA
    g4string,

I'll bet all your cab's were 8 ohms. Assuming that's the case, the (2) 112's are going to sound better with the extra power. I ordered my GS212 with a 4 ohm impedance, knowing that I would never be using two of them.

Check out this thread if you haven't already.
    Showdown!! 2 GS112s vs. 1 GS212...