Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguliar or Eden

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Systemofadowner, Nov 24, 2002.

1. Systemofadowner

Systemofadowner

Feb 24, 2002
    Mass
    Which do you think makes better cabs?

2. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    You win with either, but I think the edge goes to Aguilar

3. Systemofadowner

Systemofadowner

Feb 24, 2002
    Mass
    by the way if it helps, I listen to metal, Metallica, Sabbath, Slayer, Pantera, Dreamtheater,Megadeth, etc.(i hate system of a down)

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Decisions, decisions ...

5. I would give Aguilar the edge for metal, as Eden cabs don't have enough going on in the high mids to cut through the trendy super-muddy Gibson/Rectifier sound. An all-Eden rig sounds really nice with a J- or MM-style bass, though, as it fills in a lot of missing lower midrange.

The Eden and Aguilar cabinets, of pretty much all configurations, are equally loud. The Aguilar tweeter is smoother.

Ultimately, it depends on the bass and attack you're using.

6. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    WOW

This is a tuffy. Can I say something with out anyone getting mad?

Aguilar had someone reverse engineer the Eden 410 cab and built it to spec with aguilars name. They even originally used the exact tweeter, which later changed.

7. Can you cite your source? I hear a fairly significant difference in upper midrange response between D-410XLT and the GS410, but I'm willing to entertain the notion that it's all in my head.

8. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    I'd rather not, he is a cabinet builder himself with his own line.

Are you running the two cab's with the same head? Or are you running them with different heads/amps?

9. I've tried 'em both with my EBS Fafner, which is a really high-mid intensive head, and both in a music store environment at ~10 feet with the very same bass.

FWIW, if your source is a cabinet builder himself, he might just be slinging mud--the Aguilar cabs have, after all, been an enormous success, and have surely cut into his sales.

Unless your source is within Aguilar, the burden of proof is on him.

10. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I heard the same thing ,probally originated from the same guy(mine is one generation industry gossip)

AJ

11. Peter, don't you run 2 GS112s? I was thinking of going that route, but I have an Ampeg SVP-BSP and Ampeg power amp...would that be good for rock/metal with a P and a 6-banger?

12. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Trust me, Aguilar is no competition for him. He actually did this before his cab's ever came out. So there is no reason for it to have been a mud throwing contest. I guess being they paid him, he was on outside/inside :)

Enough about that!!!!

If you hear a difference then thats what matters. If one works better then the other go with it!!!!

Good luck,
    brian

13. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I personally find this hard to believe. The Aguilar GS410 has a single slot port on the bottom. The Eden 410T is rear ported, and the 410 XLT has a top and bottom slot port. While the Eden 410XST has a single bottom slot port like the Aguilar, I believe the Aguilar debuted before the XST was available. Of course I could be totally wrong about all of this.

14. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    BASSnSAX

There are alot of Aguilar 112's out there used on the market for cheap. I think everyone ran out after bassplayers reveiw came out and bought one. Then after that the next to issue's bassplayer placed statements trying to clear up the miss Conception they had given out about the cab. So if the 112 aguilar is what you want go to bassgear or ebay, there everywhere. You might check out some slamming 112’s like the epifani and bergantino. Heck is would take 2 aguilars to produce one epifani 112!!! Plus the Epifani’s and clean and clear sounding and SUPER tight.

Good luck on your search and try to play them all before buying.

15. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA

I know who you're talking about. You're right, Aguilar is no competition! :D

16. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Actually every Ag 410 I've seen has the port on the top and bottom just like Eden. I don't however think they sound the same. Similar but I think the Eden sounds a bit better.

17. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I own an Aguilar GS 410, and spend ALOT of time checking out the Eden 410XLT prior to purchase. They are different in size, and different in character of sound.

If someone at Aguilar reverse-engineered the Eden, they sure didn't copy what they saw . . .

18. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Yeah I just checked the aguilar website and you're right. I must've been thinking of a different company's cab. I gotta stop drinking all that beer and save some brain cells.