Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ah! another cabinet dilemma

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xcental34x, Nov 14, 2004.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    After being reminded what a hi-fi, sterile amp actually sounds like today by an SWR 550X through Goliath III cabinet, I'm finding myself torn on cabinets again. Comparingly to my GK/Ampeg rig, its more of the sound I'd prefer, which gets me to think, the Ampeg have to go for something that will give me the more modern sound I love. I've owned several cabinets. GK 410 and 115RBH, SWR Goliath Sr, Genz Benz 610XB-2, and I'm just not sure what to settle on. I'm more than sure I'd love the sound of my GK 1001RB-II through an SWR Goliath Sr. But I also love the sound of an all GK rig. So now. Of my possible options, I could keep the Ampeg, or sell it and put the money towards an SWR Goliath Sr, a GK 410RBH and 115RBH, 4x12 Neo, or 810SBX, or I'd be open to other reccomendations, or I have a friend that would possibly trade me his SWR Goliath III for my Ampeg 6x10. So anyone got any input into my indecision?

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I'd get them all.

3. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Didn't you just sell an all GK rig like 3 months ago??? Jesus man, you have the worst gas of any musician I've ever come in contact with, how do you afford it??? My girlfriend would KILL me.

4. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I go through so much. But I'm just trying to find my ideal sound. I got it in my head. Its just finding the right components.

5. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I just bought a Goliath III this weekend. I already have a number of cabs including a bergantino 310 and an Eden 210 & 410 XLT. I got the SWR cab because it does have more of a hifi sound than the eden and more punch than the berg. You might want to consider another head such as a Ampeg SVT III pro or Aguilar amp with a little more tube warmth and growl. This with a G III may provide what you are looking for.

6. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    The GK is staying regardless of what cab. I love this thing far too much, and I know it is very much capable of what I'm wanting.

7. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I'll agree with keeping the GK, everyone told me to sell mine when I bought the Traynor, hell no!!! Those GK heads are amazing little amps, I'll keep it til it's dead.

8. I would check on the new Gallien-Krueger Neo cabs. They have 1x12, 2x12, 1x15, and 4z14 models. I own a 2x12 (which is still blowing my mind) , and plan on getting another. They are great cabs and I actually prefer the Neo 2x12 over my 410RBH.

9. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Any chance you're gonna sell the 410RBH? wink wink

10. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    The Ampeg 610 kills.

It has both the modern sound you seek (ported with an adjustable horn) and delivers the power and bottom end.

Highly recommended - if you don't mind the weight (and/or have help moving it!)

11. Sorry, Im gonna have to hang on to it. It travels with a 1001RB-II in one bands trailer and my other 1001RB-II/Neo2x12 rig goes with me wherever else I play.