Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ah! buzzing tuners and pickup!

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by aaguudis, Jun 25, 2002.

1. aaguudis

aaguudis

Apr 3, 2001
    Portland
    hey certain notes on my bass make 1) the tuning machines rattle and 2) the quarter-inch jack on my pickup rattles reaally bad, especially when i hit Bb. it doesnt seem like i would need to go to a luthier to fix these, any suggestions?

2. My old Englehardt had the same problem with rattling tuners. My solution?

Rubber bands, and lots of 'em.

3. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Every rattle has a cause; track down the vibration and muffle it, use your hand to dampen spots and determine the precise action causing the sound.

One of the cloverleaf handles on the Kluson tuners on my Kay rattled because the rivet was a bit loose.

The cure: Superglue on the rivet.

Don't know what type of jack you have, but sometimes the jack plate on the K&Ks will buzz. The angles at the edges that hold onto the strings aren't real tight since there is no way K&K can know the string gauges involved. So I suggest users employ a pair of long nose pliers to steepen the angle. A similar action, depending on the type of jack you have, may help. Mechanical buzzes require mechanical solutions.

No rattle.

4. One of the cloverleaf handles on the Kluson tuners on my Kay rattled because the rivet was a bit loose.

The cure: Superglue on the rivet.

Same thing happen to me on my Bass...same cure.

Dave

If the world didn`t suck we would all fall off.....

5. I used a very thin flowing Super Glue so the glue would flow between the Cloverleaf and the post holding it. I ran a small bead of glue on each side of the Cloverleaf. So far so good, no buzzing. My only concern is if the twisting motion while tuning or changing strings may break the glue's seal. We will find out and I will report back.