Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AH ok help someone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by justaroundkid45, Nov 15, 2004.

1. i have a 300 watt at 4 ohm head (Carvin Pro Bass II) and i want a cabinet that is 600 RMS at 4 ohms (Ampeg SVT 6 10) will it power it safley? Guitar center told me it would kill the cab, co insidentally they then tried to sell me a brans new SVT all tube but i and many others think that this is a huge load of crap some one help me unblur the truth send your responses to tyler.kerxhalli@gmail.com
    or just post a reply hurry though i need my new amp soon thanks! :crying: :confused: :confused: :confused:

2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    um i never really understood the whole underpower a cab thing. I dont know if its a lie or what. I run that cab and im gonna say your fine. I put 1000 watts into it though and it does great.

3. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    It'll work no problem.

4. ahh thanks man f you guitar center

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You'll be fine. Just don't drive your amp into clipping.

6. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Actually, you could even clip it into the 6-10 (if you can stand it).

Clipping puts out double (or so) the wattage of max power, less a bit for extra losses.

The cabinet, at 600W "rms" will not be damaged by a 300W amp regardless....that would reach the cabinet rating at about 100% clipping, which would be about 275% sucky sound.

So....no problem.

The only way you could have a problem in that situation is if the amp misbehaves severely when clipped hard, or if you insist on hard-clipping your lowest note as some sort of an obligato. I think you (or someone close by) would hate the sound and turn down long before that happens.......