Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ah Standard Notation.. How I remember nothing of you...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by HWK2, Dec 20, 2001.

1. Ok, here in Oregon we have no musical program funding until high school, and thats still hella expensive. The last time I actually learned music in a class was Elementary school. I want to be able ro read notation. We learned stupid things back then like FACE (the spaces in the staff) and Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge (like I said, stupid! ;)) for the lines (EGBDF) on the staff. This is the extent that I can read notation. I went out to Libster and printed "In the Hall of the Mountain King" to test my knowlege and see if I could get that whole thing down. Nearest I can figure it plays FGACAC CbGC CGbC FGABCACfeCACe (the lower case letters being an octive up). By nearest I can figure out, I mean thats what I wrote down over the staff to get a better idea of what I'm playing. This doesn't really sound right at all, and the only thing that could be wrong (I don't think its Libster) is that I screwed up the notes. Anyone care to take a look at the notation and tell me what I did wrong, and where?

2. Lance Jaegan

Lance Jaegan

Dec 23, 2000
    Illinois
    Looks like you're reading in treble clef. The spaces for treble are FACE while the spaces for bass are ACEG.

3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Lance got it, you're thinking treble clef, and actually you want to be reading bass clef.

The "trick" to reading bass clef is a bit different than treble:

Spaces: All Cows Eat Grass

Lines: Good Boys Do Fine Aways

The letters in bold would correspond to the notes of each line or space.

Short note of interest: The bass clef is referred to as the "F" clef because the two dots surround the line for the note F, it also vaguely resembles an F; while the treble clef is called the "G" clef, because the curlique of the clef circles around the line for G.

4. *slaps himself upside the head* Ah ha! I knew something was horribly horribly wrong :)

Figures I'd do something that stupid, thanks for the wierd phrases too, those seem to help :)
    After all, I did remember those Treble clef ones from back in 3rd grade :)

5. Whoa wait a second, explain this to me because libster is confusing me. Lets says there was a sixteenth note on the first space, would I play an "A" sixteenth note?

6. Because if this is true... I would understand sheet music... that would be creepy as hell!

7. OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD, I JUST POWERED MY WAY THROUGH SOME SHEET MUSIC!!!! :D :D :D

Oh my god, sudden urges overpowering me... suddenly I love Jaco, hate Fieldy, and mock tab users :p j/k

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    :( NO....!! :( NOOOOO!!!! FieLdY RuLeZ!!!!

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    OK OK....who kidnapped the real SPLITS MAC GNARLED and replaced him with a warped, gender confused fembot??? :confused: ;)

10. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

NATIONAL TARD,

Not to worry - I'm fine. I just couldn't resist a jab at PASTEY G-STRING after the recent bloody TAB WARZ campaign...and now, so soon after that devastating carnage, to see the young lad getting into Standard Notation... ..*sniff*....*dab*....*sniff*.....well, it's enough to make a girl break down and cry. Or a guy, for that matter. Whichever the case may be.... ;)

DURRLS WILL BE DURRLS

11. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    someone please explain to me what DURRLS is/are?i know its a joke between alot of you,but i wanna know what it means,i heard about it so much!

12. I'm assuming something about gender confusion.. as in Girls will be Girls..