1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ah, suburban(ish) bliss (warning: HUGE photo)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Mar 16, 2006.

1. 3650Beethoven-Exterior.

$1750 for a 2BR/1BA tract house, built in 1944, that has no back yard (there's a 3-unit apartment building in the back). :bawl:

A mile and a half from the beach, though. :D

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    $1750? I didn't think the the cost of living between here and there was so drastically different. Up here anyplace you rent that costs that much comes with a diamond-studded puma that brings drinks to your recliner.

3. Ah, yes, but you're in Wisconsin, where my folks (in McHenry, IL) tell me it's snowing 4-6 inches tonight, and I'm here, where it's never colder than 45º.

And did I mention the whole beach thing? I think I did. :smug:

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    It did snow, but none of it stuck. It's too warm out at the moment. Now we're just soggy.

Also, I hate warm weather. If I had my druthers I'd live in Maine. Much love to you warm weather beach people, but I just can't do it.

5. Actually, it's never all that warm when you're this close to the ocean in Los Angeles. There's maybe two weeks a year of high 80s, but for most of the year the climate varies between 65 and 75, with plenty of breeze.

Further inland, it's a lot hotter in the summers. Pasadena is 15 degrees warmer on a given summer day; Palmdale or San Bernardino, at least 20.

6. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    are those tree roots in the lawn, there?

7. I don't know what kind of tree it is, other than something obviously deciduous and non-native to southern California.

8. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    :eyebrow:

that wasn't my question. :meh:

9. Yeah, I wasn't trying to answer your question. I don't mind the roots coming up above ground, honestly. Adds character.

10. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    well, that answers my question! :p

and i don't care, either; i just wanted to know what it was.

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Nope, it's part of the roof from the neighbor underneath that house. :eek:

-Mike

12. Land's valuable here, man, but not that valuable. :D

If I were to buy an old tract house, tear it down, and put up a small two-story house with a basement, my neighbors would try to sue me for a zoning violation on the grounds that the living area provided by a basement would count toward the square footage limit of the "anti-mansionization" ordinances. This state kills me sometimes. :rolleyes:

13. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    My parents both came from the Houlton area. I still remember playing in 6 feet of snow when we'd trek up there for Christmas. Making snow tunnels in the front yard was loads of fun! I'm glad I never had to shovel it though.

14. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Man, it's good to be in NW Ohio. $1750 a month would get you a
    5 bedroom 3 bath , at least 3000 sq ft, very fancy house on a private cul de sac.

15. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario

16. Nobody from NYC or Boston is posting in this thread, I see. They're all seething with rage at the "incredible deal" I got, I bet. :p

17. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Huge photo? i've seen bigger. :ninja:

congrads