Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ah, suburban(ish) bliss (warning: HUGE photo)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Mar 16, 2006.

1. [​IMG]

$1750 for a 2BR/1BA tract house, built in 1944, that has no back yard (there's a 3-unit apartment building in the back). :bawl:

A mile and a half from the beach, though. :D

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    $1750? I didn't think the the cost of living between here and there was so drastically different. Up here anyplace you rent that costs that much comes with a diamond-studded puma that brings drinks to your recliner.

3. Ah, yes, but you're in Wisconsin, where my folks (in McHenry, IL) tell me it's snowing 4-6 inches tonight, and I'm here, where it's never colder than 45º.

And did I mention the whole beach thing? I think I did. :smug:

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    It did snow, but none of it stuck. It's too warm out at the moment. Now we're just soggy.

Also, I hate warm weather. If I had my druthers I'd live in Maine. Much love to you warm weather beach people, but I just can't do it.

5. Actually, it's never all that warm when you're this close to the ocean in Los Angeles. There's maybe two weeks a year of high 80s, but for most of the year the climate varies between 65 and 75, with plenty of breeze.

Further inland, it's a lot hotter in the summers. Pasadena is 15 degrees warmer on a given summer day; Palmdale or San Bernardino, at least 20.

6. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    are those tree roots in the lawn, there?

7. I don't know what kind of tree it is, other than something obviously deciduous and non-native to southern California.

8. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    :eyebrow:

that wasn't my question. :meh:

9. Yeah, I wasn't trying to answer your question. I don't mind the roots coming up above ground, honestly. Adds character.

10. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    well, that answers my question! :p

and i don't care, either; i just wanted to know what it was.

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Nope, it's part of the roof from the neighbor underneath that house. :eek:

-Mike

12. Land's valuable here, man, but not that valuable. :D

If I were to buy an old tract house, tear it down, and put up a small two-story house with a basement, my neighbors would try to sue me for a zoning violation on the grounds that the living area provided by a basement would count toward the square footage limit of the "anti-mansionization" ordinances. This state kills me sometimes. :rolleyes:

13. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    My parents both came from the Houlton area. I still remember playing in 6 feet of snow when we'd trek up there for Christmas. Making snow tunnels in the front yard was loads of fun! I'm glad I never had to shovel it though.

14. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Man, it's good to be in NW Ohio. $1750 a month would get you a
    5 bedroom 3 bath , at least 3000 sq ft, very fancy house on a private cul de sac.

15. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario

16. Nobody from NYC or Boston is posting in this thread, I see. They're all seething with rage at the "incredible deal" I got, I bet. :p

17. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Huge photo? i've seen bigger. :ninja:

congrads