Aha! Now I know why Alnico magnets are superior to Ceramic magnets!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by NoiseNinja, Sep 2, 2021.

1. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Inactive

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Or at least I wasted my time on reading a senseless manic ramble of random buzzwords.

Of all the nonsense babble in that blog this got to take the price though for the absolutely most hilarious :

Here's the whole article :
    Magnets Why Alnico - Zero-Hum Guitar Pickups

It's actually not that he hasn't got some facts right, he do, it's just that he completely fails to use those facts in any meaningful way whatsoever to construct anything that even just remotely would have resembled a sensible valid argument or point, rather on the contrary he turns any fact that he might had been able to use in his favor into some absurd ramble of obscure unsupported claims, some even quite obviously contradictory.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
  2. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I've read stuff like this time and again and I can't really extract any meaningful "rule" out of any of it. I can't really tell if a pickup is ceramic, alnico, neodymium or whatever just by hearing a bass. My suspicion is most people can't either. Just in some cases, side by side comparison makes for some conclusion, ON THE SAME BASS MODEL. I own and love my old ceramic Stingray5s, but I can only tell a difference when A/Bing them side by side with a newer alnico model of the same bass. And then again, the preamp is somehow different amongst them (modern Stingray5 preamps sound more tame to me) so the difference might only be partly because of magnet material. So I can only tell with basses I'm VERY specialized in and ONLY IF HEARING BOTH, I wouldn't know by hearing just a single Stingray5. So my veredict is: HYPE. The human ear prefers WHAT SOUNDS GOOD, and there's plenty of ceramic/alnico/neodymium/unobtanium/whatever examples to illustrate that concept.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
  3. Gothic

Gothic

Apr 13, 2008
    Greece
    So umm... alnico good for metal? Alnico make bass go gunga gunga?

4. RattleSnack

RattleSnack

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    In my earlier playing years I switched pickups on bass guitars, and flipped bass guitars often. I have noticed that when I like some pickups, they almost always have Alnico and not ceramic magnets.
    As for quoted text, I found little sense in it. Maybe someone with more knowledge can put the sonic difference in words.

5. Basslice

Basslice Supporting Member

May 11, 2008
    Western Massachusetts
    In terms of nonsense descriptions - they always annoy me.

It is really hard to describe tonal sounds with words. I am not a huge fan of any of them:
    • scooped
    • dirt
    • nasally

Then again, i woke up in a shiity mood today. So there...

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022