Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ahh! Bridge saddle problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Nomadic Herder, Mar 23, 2001.

1. Ive had my new MIM Jazz for a week now. I have rencently noticed that the bridge saddle on the E string is doing something funny. The Top (closest to me) allen wrench adjusting thing (theres 2 on every saddle...you know what Im talking about) will drop down after a little while and the edge of the saddle will be on the bridge.

Could this be because of string tension? (I have a .105 E string) A bad bridge? Or is the thread on something being stripped? Ahh help!

2. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I've never heard of this before, sounds like a stripped saddle screw or something.

Anyone?

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    This is surprisingly common, sadly. Try getting some new bridge screws (if they are the stripped part) from stew mac, or even a hardware store, and if it continues, you might want to try a new bridge (which would be a great modification anyway).

4. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I would suggest that you take it back where you got it for repairs. If it's a mailorder purchase, it probably would be less hassle to fix it yourself, provided the problem is a bad set screw. If the threads in the roller are stripped, you may have to buy a complete bridge just to get one roller.

You might try a drop of Lok-Tite on the setscrew. You can get a small tube at any automotive store or motorcycle shop.

A specialty nut and bolt store (under fasteners in the yellow pages) may be able to provide a "Nylock" set screw in the proper size. They wont back out till you back them out.

Makes you wonder about "quality control", doesn't it?

Congrats on the new bass. It sounds like a very minor problem.

Pkr2