1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ahh, I think I'm in love....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman1185, Jul 2, 2004.

1. Just went to a guitar shop this afternoon, and there was this old p-bass. I've never really liked Ps, but I've never played a vintage bass before. I pick it up, and it's REALLY heavy. I plug it in, and I couldn't believe my ears. It sounded amazing. All the P-basses I've ever played have had a really harsh, empty tone that works well for some music, but they're not really what I was looking for. But this bass was the sweetest sounding bass I've ever played. I ask about it, and it's a mid 70's fender, probably made in America, with a fender replacement neck, black with rosewood fingerboard and ashtrays. it's kinda beat up, but that really adds to its appeal for me. It's only $410 with case, too. GAHHH, I wish I had the money to blow on this!

2. I'd buy that in a second! 410 $ isn't bad at all!

3. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    $410. Sounds like a deal to me.

4. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Its definitely american made as they all were until the late 70s/early 80s. You should sell a limb to get the $$$ for it. :D

5. Darn it, guys, you're supposed to say "$410 is a huge ripoff and you should forget about it." Now you're making me want it even more. Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think that it would work well for me. I've played mostly five string for three years or so, but I really don't use the really low notes all that much anymore, and I've really been getting into classic rock, which doesn't need a five at all.

6. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    if it really is a mid 70's american p bass for $410 your stupid if u dont get it. The cheapest 70's p bass ive seen was around a grand. The issue isnt even the value of the bass, u already said u love it, follow your heart man.

7. appler

appler Guest

He said it had a replacement neck... the value usually goes down when the instrument's not all original, I think. Don't worry about it, bassman. There were plenty of P-basses made in the seventies. :bassist: I wish I had one. If you can find the money, go for it. if not, don't sweat it.

8. OK, I think I'm going to go for it. Here's my plan: Sell my MTD Heir 5 with case for say $600 and my MXR M-80 for $100. Buy the p-bass for about $450 after tax and straplocks and strap and everything, THEN buy a brice six string (I've been wanting one of these for months) for about $350 after shipping and case. Then I'll have a fretless four, a vintage four and a modern six. Any thoughts on this idea?

9. You'd be pretty set after that. Until more gas comes along, of course!

10. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    I did the exact same thing with a 74 about a year and a half ago. There was a couple weeks that were a little low on food (I'm a student) and I had to sell my first bass, but it was totally worth it. I'd do it again in a second.

11. So, yeah, is anybody looking for a nice five string bass?