Ahh, I think I'm in love....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman1185, Jul 2, 2004.

1. Just went to a guitar shop this afternoon, and there was this old p-bass. I've never really liked Ps, but I've never played a vintage bass before. I pick it up, and it's REALLY heavy. I plug it in, and I couldn't believe my ears. It sounded amazing. All the P-basses I've ever played have had a really harsh, empty tone that works well for some music, but they're not really what I was looking for. But this bass was the sweetest sounding bass I've ever played. I ask about it, and it's a mid 70's fender, probably made in America, with a fender replacement neck, black with rosewood fingerboard and ashtrays. it's kinda beat up, but that really adds to its appeal for me. It's only $410 with case, too. GAHHH, I wish I had the money to blow on this!
  2. I'd buy that in a second! 410 $ isn't bad at all!
  3. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    $410. Sounds like a deal to me.
  4. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Its definitely american made as they all were until the late 70s/early 80s. You should sell a limb to get the $$$ for it. :D
  5. Darn it, guys, you're supposed to say "$410 is a huge ripoff and you should forget about it." Now you're making me want it even more. Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think that it would work well for me. I've played mostly five string for three years or so, but I really don't use the really low notes all that much anymore, and I've really been getting into classic rock, which doesn't need a five at all.
  6. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    if it really is a mid 70's american p bass for $410 your stupid if u dont get it. The cheapest 70's p bass ive seen was around a grand. The issue isnt even the value of the bass, u already said u love it, follow your heart man.
  7. appler

appler Guest

He said it had a replacement neck... the value usually goes down when the instrument's not all original, I think. Don't worry about it, bassman. There were plenty of P-basses made in the seventies. :bassist: I wish I had one. If you can find the money, go for it. if not, don't sweat it.
  8. OK, I think I'm going to go for it. Here's my plan: Sell my MTD Heir 5 with case for say $600 and my MXR M-80 for $100. Buy the p-bass for about $450 after tax and straplocks and strap and everything, THEN buy a brice six string (I've been wanting one of these for months) for about $350 after shipping and case. Then I'll have a fretless four, a vintage four and a modern six. Any thoughts on this idea?
  9. You'd be pretty set after that. Until more gas comes along, of course!
  10. jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    I did the exact same thing with a 74 about a year and a half ago. There was a couple weeks that were a little low on food (I'm a student) and I had to sell my first bass, but it was totally worth it. I'd do it again in a second.
  11. So, yeah, is anybody looking for a nice five string bass?