Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ahh,im sorry,but what head??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BLonge, Jan 10, 2005.

1. BLonge

BLonge

Jan 8, 2005
    Massachusetts
    aw man im really sorry ive been asking so many damn questions, but i really dont want to invest a ton of hard earned money into a set up to have it not be loud enough or even to have it short out or someting!

im looking for a bass head in the 300-400$ price range. whats the best candidate? i play in a band with one guitarist at th emoment, however i need something loud enough for something like a school auditorium or outside gigs. the first cab i get will be an ashdown 4x10. the number one candidate for my head right now is the SWR Workingman's 4004. it pushes the most watts ive seen for the price, but ive heard some good things and ice seen some memebers on this board say bad things! im really so confused right now. again,sorry bout littering the board with so many newbie questions!

2. Check out the Behringer BX3000T. Looks like a good amp for the $$$.

3. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Personally, I'd go with a used GK 800RB. Loud, clean and virtually indestructable.

4. The GK 800, 700 (used) or 400rbiii or iv (new) are good amps. The ashdown mag 300 is good and cost $300 - 350 new and is 300+ watts at 4 ohms. Some swear by the Hartke 3500, which is 350 watts at 4 ohms and has both a solid state and tube preamp as well as compressor.(and can be bought for under $400 used.

5. BLonge

BLonge

Jan 8, 2005
    Massachusetts
    nothing about the 4004?

6. My experience with SWR is that they are generally reliable but have a definite SWR "sound" that either works for you or doesn't. The primary gripe is that they don't "cut through the mix" as much as some amps, but there are thousands of devoted SWR player who whould take issue. I found them to be very heavy "weight-wise" and didn't care much for the workingman 15 combo I played through for a while at my church.