Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DarkMazda, May 20, 2002.

1. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    OH NO!!! My G.A.S. is starting to flare up again.. I just bought the Mudvayne lIve dvd and i was blown away by Ryknow's playing.. Does everything from Slapping/Tapping and great finger playing.. and the tone of his Thumb just blew him away! My G.A.S. is going up for the Thumb 5 or 4... I'm thinking of the 4 since I'm a 4er and don't like the 5 string spacing and neck.. and the 5ers have more of the neckdive..

but then again... i BARELY survived the Warwick SSI 5... so I might survive the Thumb 5...

But Pete McFerrin knows how small my hands are.. its soo hard for me to play 5 string.... Pete though he had tiny hands... My hands are smaller than his :(

So I'm looking in to a used Thumb 4 or 5.. then switching the preamp and pup to SDs!!! gotta love SDs ;)
  2. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Het DM, still got G.A.S ? I love the tone of my thumb and have played through a similiar rig that Ryknow uses for a while. Different compressor and and SVT 2 classic instead of the pro. It sounds AWESOME and HUGE!!!!!!!:eek: :D
  3. marijn van gils

marijn van gils

Jan 23, 2002
    congrats! This GAS can only be good for you!

I have been more than satisfied with my thumb n/t for the past 5 months (the time that I own it), even with the standard electronics.
    I hear a lot of comments about the newer Warwicks being so terrible, but mine was built in 99 and is a first rate instrument. I would expect the same from a 02 example, even if it has ovangkol instead of wengé...

Don't worry too much about the neckdive with a 4: it hangs more horizontal than most basses, but doesn't really dive, even with a cheap strap. Take a good strap and it stays where you put it.

Also don't worry about your hands, I also have small hands (for the record: this characteristic doesn't say anything about other bodyparts!) and the thumb's neck is certainly more rounded, but I find it in fact easier to play than a MIA Jazz. The neck is just fantastic!

Killer bass! If you love the sound, just go for it!

4. I owned a '90 thru-neck Thumb, that I wound up trading for (basically) my beautiful custom F-bass, and while I wouldn't trade back, I miss the Thumb very badly for that certain growl. The weight of a Thumb 6 can be a little distressing after 3 or so hrs, but I never had a problem with "neck dive" Someday I'll have another.
  5. Saibuster

Jan 26, 2002
    My hands are probably the smallest hands in the world (yeah, it doesnt say anything about other body parts as well :) ) .
    i've got a ss2, and i got used to it after 2 weeks.
    its the same spacing as the thumb.

i also played a ss1 5er, and it was abit of a problem becouse of the spacing.
  6. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    Saibuster: I had a SSI 5 as well.. the neck killed my hand...had it pretty high and still had wrist problems and fingers spazzing out when fretting more than 1 fret.... thats how small my hands are :( (these notes were fretted off the E string by the way)... If I get a thumb, hopefully it won't be as bad as when I had the SSI :)