Ahh my head!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 5stringDNA, May 25, 2003.

1. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    This thread is an oozing of pain I had to experience yesterday- I caught a ride with a teammate to a hockey tournament about an hour or so down south, and he insisted on playingcrummy ear-piercing 80's music the whole way. I had forgotten just how terrible the bass playing and mixing in general was in 80's pop music. When I pointed out to him that a lto fo these songs could have been played by first month bassist and sound nearly as good, and that the endless waves of treble was torturing my head he replied like I was crazy. I wa slike, this stuff sounds liek it doesn't even have any bass, and he goes "So? Songs don't need anything more than quiet simple bass, and these guitars are so heavy you don't really need bass". He continued to bass the importance of the bass in general, and say hwo great guitar, etc. is. Interestingly he commented that he understands music well, but is terrible at it, and just knows he likes how the the song sounds at that some "fancier" bass would make most of the songs he was commenting on sound bad. When i pointed otu that the vast majority of RHCP fans love them as much for flea's playing as for the vocals and guitars he had no comment...I know this whole topic has been done to death, but I hadn't had someone annoy me to that degree as far as music goes for quite some time- not because he likes the stuff, but because he claimed to know alot and still downplayed the importance of bass, etc. Oh well... Any comments on the whole issue?
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    My head hurts too...I feel kind of woozy, and kind of nauseated, oh well.
  3. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Ok, I deserved that for my shameless waste of bandwidth. Anyone else got a headache? :p ;)
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, I do sort of feel for you. My dad is into classic rock, and when I started playing bass, he was first of all very supportive of the idea of me having more than one bass (the rest of the family wouldn't come around to this for another 4-5 years), but he said "a good bassline you don't hear." Meaning that it would follow/synch with the guitar perfectly. While this isn't a horrible take on bass, I firmly believe that a bass is it's own instrument, not a supportive one. It is simply used in a supporting roll more often than not.
  5. Suburban_punk

May 13, 2003
    The Mrs. around here is TOTAL 80's gal.

I feel for you. The only common ground we have with regards to that era is Duran Duran.

John Taylor was a GREAT bass player and I admit, Duran Duran is pretty rad!
  6. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I'd replace the music of today with the music of the Eighties in half a second. I'd much rather listen to Bret Michaels sing, "To hear that tears me up inside and to see you cuts me like a knife," than listen to that no-talent ass clown, Wes Scantlin sing, "I like the way you smack my ass," or have to hear anything at all about Fred Durst's newest album, which is tentatively titled Panty Sniffer. Jee-zus!

Sorry, bro. I think your headache is unwarranted.
  7. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Yes... let's catagorize the entire range of music... EVERY band of the 2000's as one single load of crap :rolleyes:

Don't let two apples spoil the whole bushell :meh:
  8. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Now, now, now,let's be reasonable and fair, ALL nusic that makes it onto corporate radio is fecal. What era doesn't matter.

Have you seen The Wedding Singer? All those '80's songs in the movie and only one was any good. My son was laughing at me and saying "You used to listen to this junk?"

I had to break out my old CD's and show him the stuff that WASN'T getting on the radio from back then. I haven't cured him of listening to Limp Bizkit or the toneDef's, but he also groks King Crimson and Rush now.
  9. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO

Very valid points. I should have been mroe specific. I am by no means a bizkit fan, or nu-metal nut, etc, and don't really listen to the radio often at all, mostly because its hard to find quality music on the radio. I don't hate all 80's music- some very talented artists such as Metallica, Duran Duran, and Depeche Mode came from the 80's. I hear what your saying about categorizing by decade, and that there is every bit as much garbage coming out now days, and much of it gives me a headache as well, but more because of just plain suckage. The headache factor I was pointing out was intended more towards the sonic quality of much 80's pop than towards the talent. I find listening to large amounts of dominantly high pitched music with little balance across the spectrum is quite agonizing- same reason I won't listen to rap on subs for very long. I realize not all 80's music fits this description, and it could have been his crappy speakers or particular choice in tunes as well.
    Oh, I like most of the Transformers: the Movie soundtrack, oddly. :D
  10. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Right, Panty Sniffer, INCREDIBLE!

It's the 80's that gave us such wholesome songs as "Girls girls girls", "Cherry Pie" and such lyrics as "Pour some suger on me, I'm hot and sticky sweet.".

God bless the 80's.

Not all 80's music was bad, not all of todays music is bad, there is bad and good in all times of music.
  11. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I thought I did.
  12. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Farmer Confuscius say: Two bad apples will indeed spoil the whole bushel if not removed.