1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ahh! my NUT IS GONE!!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by alecmcmahon, Dec 23, 2001.

  1. alright heres the deal.

    bout a week or 2 ago, the G string on my old squier p bass popped, no biggie.. i just played with out it for a while.

    but, now when i go to put new strings on, the nut for the g string is missing, ( you know, that thing on the tuner knobie thing).. i did my best to do with out it, the thing you actully wind the string around is like bent becasue it doesnt have the nut around it...

    my question is... can i go out and just buy 1 NUT to replace it with, or will it be a hassel and will i have to replace evreything up there... how much? cheap? expensive? pain in the arse??

  2. HeavyDuty

    HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

    Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    So, you're talking about the nut that surrounds the tuning machine on the face of the headstock, right?

    OK, I don't have any in my junkbox, but remove one of the other nuts (take the tension off all your strings until everything is fixed, by the way - you don't want to bend your tuner shafts). Take it up to the local hardware store (a real store with bins of small parts, not a Home Depot or similar) and first try to determine the size and thread of the nut. Then, look in their selection of trim nuts used for electrical switches - you may find a match.

    Regardless, you then know what size and thread nut you need, and you can make a plea for one here. It may be metric...

    Good luck!
  3. ESP-LTD


    Sep 9, 2001
    You may get some "odd" answers unless you change your terminology. "Nut" refers to the plastic bit at the end of the fingerboard that all the strings go thru to keep them straight as they go down the fingerboard.

    What you are describing is referred to I believe as a "Tuner Bushing". I don't know if you will be able to find one to fit as a spare part or not; it just depends on where you shop. Worst case, you have to replace the whole tuner for $14-$15 at www.stewmac.com . It takes a pair of pliers and a screwdriver to replace.
  4. ok, thanks

    and sorry for all the bad terms i used...

    never really learned much about the complete body and structure, every bit and piece of the bass, though i should.

    thanks though!

    [EDIT] just tidied up the spelling a bit. ;)
  5. HeavyDuty

    HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

    Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    ESP-LTD -

    Good point - it may be a bushing. Some of my tuners use simple flat nuts, but others do have a bushing on the backside. I didn't think of that!
  6. Also if you have a "mom and pop" music store around you, you can check with them the one next to me has boxes of misc. parts like that. they usally give them to you for nothing or almost nothing. And that bushing is about the most generic size so I'm sure you will have no problem finding one there. good luck
  7. lo-end


    Jun 15, 2001
    Ohhhh... you mean your bushing. For a second there I thought you'd busted your nut. Now thats a scary thought.
  8. :eek: *cringes in emotional pain*
  9. Hategear

    Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

    Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    On a Fender, the thing (I think) you are decribing is called a ferrule -- the smooth ring that sits at the base of the tuning peg and makes everything look sano (pretty). As an example, Ibanez's Soundgears use an actual threaded nut at the base of the tuning post. I'm sure you can get a new one at a hardware store, at a music store or at your local Radio Shack. As ESP-LTD stated, in order to avoid confusion at the hardware store or the Radio Shack, take one of the remaining nuts in and say, "Can you help me find another one of these?" Trying to explain the difference between a nut and a nut to an uneducated clerk (uneducated in musical instruments and their part names, not uneducated in that if you work at Radio Shack, you are an idiot), might be more trouble than it's worth. ;)

    EDIT: When you put the new nut on (and consequently when you retighten the other nuts), I recommend putting a li'l dab of thread lock on each of the threads, then snugging them hand tight with the appropriate sized socket, to avoid them coming loose on you again. I use clear nail polish.
  10. I know how it is! and i am a moderator of this forum. lol hmmm i will go correct ya spelling tho. Thats one of my duties around here, sweep the floors and correct spelling.



Share This Page