Ahh! my thumb bass has a crack

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gruffpuppy, Jan 25, 2001.

1. yep my 25 day old Warwick Bolt-On Thumb bass has a crack on the fret board. the crack is right at the end of the fret board under the E string, were it overlaps the body.
    i am going to bring it back to GC tommorow to see what they have to say. any one have this problem? any one return things to Guitar Center before the 30 day "guarantee"?
    i'll keep you all up to date.
  2. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    You sure it's not just the grain of the wood? Wenge has an open grain which can appear to be cracked.
  3. I had this problem year’s ago with a Streamer though neck.
    After about a year a ¾ inch crack appeared in the body.
    Didn’t effect anything except my displeasure every time I picked it up, so it had to go.
    Traded it for a Thumb, which served me well for a few years.

BTW, Has anyone tried the new Streamer Jazzman 5?
    My Local dealer tells me he now uses one as his main bass, and says they're the most versatile, best sounding, light and comfortable 5 string around in that price range, although he doesn’t have any in stock at the moment.
    I tend to believe him as I went in to try a Stingray 5 and a G & L 2500, (which he had in stock) but he advised me to put off my decision until I tried the Jazzman. Also the Jazzman costs about £100 less.

Any comments?

[Edited by Spike on 01-26-2001 at 07:18 AM]
  4. Thank you Bruce for pointing out my typo. (Now corrected.)
    All I can say in my defence, apart from being possibly a bit stupid, is that I am very busy at work and didn’t check my post before sending it.
  5. i wish, it is definetly a crack, if you look at the last fret it runs up 3 frets and almost comes out the top. another problem is that there are some real deep "grains" right above it on the fret board which will probally become part of the crack as it moves up the board.
  6. ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    You haven't overtightened the truss rod have you? This may have opened up one of the grain lines, and formed the crack.
  7. maybe i should have said this in my first post, i have done 2 things to this bass, i bought it, and i played it. no new strings, no adjustments, no nothing.

thanks for asking
  8. well here is an update if there is care, i went to Guitar Center today in Boston, MA because the they were out of the Thumb Bass at the original location, talked to the guy, he said "gee i never saw one of them do that, kind of a bumer"
    he then proceded to go into the store room and pull a brand new bass off the shelf, i am now the proud owner of a new Thumb Bass that i can say i am the first one to get my dirty paws on. Big Smiles for me.

no hassle at GC what so ever, and the finish is even a little nicer than the one i turned in, here is hoping that it doesn't happen again :)
  9. Stangg

Stangg Guest

he gave you a new bass just like that? sweet! I wish that would have happened to me a couple months ago when my beloved orpheus got a crack in the back of the neck. I lent it to a friend for a while ( i just used my backup, he didn't have a bass for the time being) and he tightened the truss rod. a lot. he paid for the fix-up but there's still a scar. oh well.
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You know, gruffpuppy, GC gets a lot of criticism, but they do stand behind that 30 day no questions asked guarantee.

That's one reason that I don't mind buying gear from them, you can get them to match anyone elses price, and if for some reason you don't like the gear, within 30 days with receipt they will refund the money, no questions asked.
  11. i was very happy and surprised with Guitar Centers response to the problem, i also got a quick response from Warwick saying they had not had this problem before which again made me feel good. Warwick suggested fretboard oil if i felt the board was getting dry.
  12. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    Glad to hear that they took care of you at GC. I,too have had similar experiences of things being done above and beyond the call,such as when I bought a used drum machine in August.I told the guy that since it was a rather complex piece of kit,I could only consider buying it if they could get me the manual,which was not to be found,as well as the official Roland power supply for it,since I'd heard(erroneously I later found out)that Roland stuff doesn't work well or not at all with non native power supplies. He agreed,and I bought the thing for $199 and 8 days later he called to say that the Manual+ User's Guide($35)and the wall wart(list $50!) had arrived.No extra charge to me.But it gets better: 30 days later I decided I liked a newer model drum machine and I had a quote for it that was lower than GC's price by $40.They took the used machine back (Roland R-70 btw)and gave me full credit for it PLUS they matched the quote I'd gotten on the newer machine(Boss DR-770).Then in November,since no one else had bought the R-70,they knocked it down to $99.95. So I bought it again! (what the hell) This is but one of several encounters with them that have kept me smiling.Just today I picked up an R-Bus cable they had to special order for me which they sold me for $.23 over their cost.The cable is to hook up a VSR880 HD recorder that they sold me at the beginning of the month for $599 (list $1795!) Brand new in box,part of their Inventory Overload sale.