Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ahh...revenge is sweet

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Melf, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    I'm sure(hoping, hehe) that some of you remember my post about the drummer getting his mom to kick me out of his band. (It was under Velocimaniac). Well this morning I was up in the ensemble room watching this other bassist lay down "What Is Hip?" when Russ(the drummer) comes in. He practically begged me to join his band again because they had a gig at a cafe somewhere and had lost their bassist. I told him no and he scowled and asked Eric(the other bassist)to join his band while I stood behind him shaking my head at Eric. So Eric started telling Russ that I really wanted to play in his band and I was just being hard to get. Russ got really upset and stopped talking to us. It sure felt good telling him no way:D

2. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Nothing like revenge for getting back at people. Though venengance is preety sweet too.;)

3. Ah, I get it. So now he doesn't have a bassist and you don't have a gig. Cool.

4. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    Maybe you don't understand the situation...I was in his band. He decided that he wanted one of his friends to be the bassist. He got his MOM to call me and kick me out for him. He didn't even have the balls to tell me himself. Not only that, but he wasn't very good at keeping time. Now why would I want to go to the trouble of lugging my 100 pound rig and bass to a cafe 30 miles away to play one gig for free, for Russ?

5. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I guess rejecting those that reject you can bring about some personal satisfaction. But, I agree with silentstranger. A gig that gives you exposure is a good thing. You never know, you may be able to hook up other musicians there. Even though the band gets exposure, don't forget that you do to. It's also a chance to practice your chops in a live situation.

By the fact that the drummer's mom kicked you out of the band, you know that the guys lacks balls. I definitely wouldn't want to work wit a guy like that, especially because I am in my 30s:D . On the other hand, because a band rejects you doesn't mean that you can't work with them in the future. I have been at a number of auditions where I did not make the band, but was called to substitute for the bass player if he/she couldn't make the gig. Sure I was rejected, but I wasn't gonna turn down a paying gig. I'd much rather play out than hang out. Sometimes I got to meet some cool musicians, get my name out on the local scene, keep my chops up, and on occasion became the "permanent" bass player.

There's a difference between personal and professional. Don't let personal hinder professional and vice versa.

6. I could understand Melf's sentiments. You can't just agree to fill in for anyone's band just because they ask you too. Especially when the leader of the band in question nixed you for his friend's sake. And the mom telling you to leave is the nail in the coffin. I sure as hell wouldn't want to work with anyone that weak-willed because it wouldn't go anywhere.

At the same time though, revenge may be sweet, but it also addicting and selfishly self-perpetuating. It's not a good idea to snuff people just because you can. I'd be careful because vengence can cost lots of quality gigs and rep points.

So...the lesson: Enjoy this while you can, because you probably won't be able to afford that luxury in the future.

The drummer sounds like a pansy either way though.

7. Jive1, you said it for me......

8. Nope, I do. Especially after the second explanation.
    You wouldn't.

The key is to change the situation; namely, the "free" part. Demand payment, whatever you feel your talent/time/gas/physical exertion deserves. Then the ball is in his court; if he wants the gig bad enough, he'll pay...if not, no skin off your back, 'cause you made a [presumably] reasonable offer that he refused. You certainly don't owe him any favors. The guy sounds like he's rather lacking in testicular fortitude, so just stand up for yourself and it's win-win for you.

9. Word. To paraphrase Op.Ivy, don't "burn your bridges and be just another jaded fool." (Okay, I just like that lyric and wanted an excuse to post it :p)

And what jive1 said. Good advice, that.

10. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Sorry guys, but after over 25 years of being a full-time, professional musician.......I'm with Melf on this one.:meh:

11. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

This made me laugh. Thank you for brightening my night/morning. ;)

12. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    Always a pleasure Jared:p