Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ahh Talkbass, my Personal computer help........ thing.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Till, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    So I'm at it again, I suck. I've got a list this time

- I added a slave drive, and it randomly stopped working. I didn't unplug anything... it just stopped. Here's my thoughts, I have the slave right next to the master (about an inch between them) did the slave overheat? Because I plugged in another, smaller, drive and it works.

- When I turn the computer off (Windows), it starts up again. Then I hold down the power button to turn it off... it starts up again. Eventually I just have to unplug it.

There is probably more... but I forget it.

2. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Sounds strange, I had a somewhat similar problem with a slave drive on a Dell I have at work. If the PC was shut down and I turned it on everything would work fine (even if I left it on for days) but if I just did a restart from windows (without ACTUALLY turning the power off) then the BIOS wouldn't find the slave drive. I never figured out what the problem was, I just got used to doing full power off restarts. I'll be interested in anyone's ideas on the problem.

My only guess might be a poor quality IDE cable. I wouldn't think it would be the drives being too close unless you're making them work REALLY hard and have no ventilation in the case. I have a PC with 8 HD's all with about 1/4" space between them (it's my home made file server, 1.2Terabytes) and they have all worked flawlessly for the past 3 years, but they aren't running full tilt for very long or very often and the case is well ventilated.

Is the HD brand new? Have you tried connecting it to the other IDE channel? (I've heard you get better HD perfromance if you put the HD's on separate IDE channels, so you could put the Main HD (Master) and one CD/DVD drive (Slave) on IDE1 and the other HD (switch it from Slave to Master) and another (if you have one) CD/DVD/whatever (Slave) with it.)

3. First off, with Windows automatically restarting, this sounds like a problem I ran across recently. IIRC, it's a problem that was fixed by SP2. If you're hesitant to install SP2 (has known issues of putting systems down for the count) I believe you can download a stand-alone HotFix for it. Do a google search for it, and you might be able to find it. I just did a search, and there's a wealth of sites that may have the hotfix for the symptoms you have.

With the Slave Drive problem, are you sure that you have set up everything correctly on the drive and in the BIOS (if applicable)? If you have a spare IDE Channel (assuming you're using IDE drives) you could try setting that one up on the spare channel as a Master and see if it works 100% that way. If it does, you could possibly have a bad drive (jumper for Master/Slave could be bad). Of course, with the fact that it worked for a while (judging by the wording of your post), I'd be more likely to believe that the drive just failed rather than overheated. I've stacked drives of all kinds on top of each other and never had a problem.

Let me know if any of these suggestions help, if not, maybe someone else will come up with something I haven't.

4. If it was the cable, the other drive he tried shouldn't have worked either.

BTW, your problem sounds like a problem with your BIOS itself. Does your OS by chance detect the drive even when your BIOS doesn't? It leads me to believe that it's something with the BIOS that a full shutdown will "reset" (for lack of a better term) that a simple restart does not.

5. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    OP: google HDDLife(freeware) and see what it reports about your drive. Heating may be the reason.

LajoieT: http://support.dell.com
    Check out if your BIOS is outdated. They have changelogs detailing what they fixed with each release. If it is BIOS related and you are chicken of upgrading it, PM me. I've done DELL BIOS upgrades over 100 times.

John Deppel: It depends on where the cable is faulty. IDE ribbons can work for one drive and not the other.

Hope this helps,

DCat

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Hmmm, I'll mess around with BIOS.

Lajoie: How do you fit 8 HDs in a computer? :eek:

About the ribbons being faulty, why would it work for a while, then just randomly stop?

7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    It appears that most things usually work until they stop working.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Indeed.

9. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    It's a big case made for it by Anitec (I think). 4 external 5 1/4"bays (like for CD-ROMs, I got adapters to put the HD's in them), 3 external 3 1/2" bays (Like for floppy drives), and 3 internal 3 1/2" bays (for typical HDs). A few of the HDs I bought were ATA 133 before that was standard, so they came with ATA 133 cards that can handle 4 drives each, so I'm using 2 of those to run the 8 data drives and one of the built in chanels to run one drive for the OS. It's been amazingly stable. I have a shareware app that reboots the PC every day, and I can't remember the last time I had to go down and do something with the computer.

As for my Dell problem, it's a work PC and of course it's not a priority for them to update the BIOS on my machine when they still have users out there with W95 :eek: and we're not allowed to do these things ourselves. I don't know if the OS would recognize the drive even if the BIOS didn't. The PC hangs with a message that "Drive 1 not found" or something and asks if I want to continue or enter the bios setup. I usually just power down for a minute and turn it back on and all is fine.