Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AHH--weird tone knob buzzing. HELP

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by tiredman9, Sep 2, 2005.

1. tiredman9

tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    I just took of my tone knob to tighten it and well i did but know, whenever the tone is turned up (anywhere above 4 really) it buzzes and the higher you go the louder the buzzing. I cant figure out whats causing it. I check the control cavity and everything...help...

2. You may have some sort of ground-noise problem, or possibly even badly ground A/C power that the amp is plugged into.
    When you're increasing the tone, you're brightening the sound which makes that noise much more noticeable. You can probably just about make it go away by turning the tone down all the way?
    It can also be the cause of your amp's settings, especially if you're running alot of treble.
    Sometimes it's a shielding issue, where the bass's electronics are picking up noise from things around you.
    What kind of bass is it?

Mag...

3. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Sounds like you've got a bad solder joint. Recheck every connection.

4. tiredman9

tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    well i turn the treble down a bit on the amp anyway. its at like -4 or so. I think the knob might be dirty or somethin. I checked the shielding and everything of the control cavity too and its all ok. When the tone is at 0 there is no buzzing whatesoever but sometimes it also lowers the volume...i think i will replace the pot and the capacitator...

5. tiredman9

tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    Ok well i know its not the shielding...sometimes if i take the knob off and hold down the split shaft pieces (just push them down) the buzzing will stop. It could be a loose wire or something. Maybe i got the pot dirty or broke it...how do you clean pots? Thanks

6. tiredman9

tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    Alsoi this is not a slight buzz this is some LOUD buzz not jsut a little mmm in the backround. Also when i touch the strings it stops (and heres my theory on that-that is causing a signal to be sent thourgh the pickups and the pots and it somehow is canceling out whatever that tone knob is gettings its buzz from...so maybe it could be shielding...im so confused....HELP

7. Doesn't the tone knob just cut the bass and boost the treble? I would think that you'd always get some buzz.

8. tiredman9

tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    yes you do always get some buzz, but this is a LOUD buzz not just some tiny ringing in the backround.I mean loud, its so loud if i turn on my tv and turn volume half way up on my 120 watt amp that the amp makes it impossible to clearly here the tv..

9. tiredman9

tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    anyone....