Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ahh yes. SWR... finally

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ldiezman, Aug 16, 2002.

1. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Well I come home last night around 9:45 and right when I open the door I see the package I've been waiting on for 6 weeks. its my SWR IOD preamp.. I only got to play with it for a few minutes at a very very low volume but right off the sound is 10 times fatter than before..

I was wondering for you owners of IOD preamps. Do you leave a space in your rack between the IOD and all your other gear or do you leave no space at all? i know the IOD gets pretty hot and I only have 1 space left.. and thats going to be for my korg tuner that should be here today..
    what do you think?

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i would recommend giving it at least one space above to breathe, but preferrably the two that is recommended. and keep it away from the power amp which will cause more heat. no fan in those little buggers... very hot! good luck with it!

3. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Guess i'll get another rack mount for the tuner.. durn

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    mine gets FrEAKING HOT!!! i have a 4 space and it's in the top space, with a space inbetween it and my poweramp. after a show it's so hot it feels like an oven door is open or something.

i definitely recommend a space above and below.

ISN'T IT A WONDERFUL SOUNDING PIECE OF GEAR?!

5. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Yes as a matter of fact it is a most excellent sounding piece of equipment

6. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I'm really interested in the IOD. Though I've never played any SWR stuff, everytime I hear someone playing something that's SWR it always sounds amazing to me. They seem to have the growl of Eden but with a fatter sound. (which I dig) I'm really considering my rig to be a IOD, a Goliath III and a Carvin DCM-1000.

Did you get your IOD from Bass Central?

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Congrats, Idiezman! I just got an SWR SM-500 on the same day myself! I love the tone although I'm curous to hear the IOD. I bet you can get a thicker tone out of that.

anyway...Woohoo for us!

brad cook

8. I'd sure be interested in hearing about folks EQ settings with this unit? The EQ points chosen by SWR seem geared towards the OD abilities and less towards that beautiful clean tone it gets. I've actually had the best luck by scooping the 250hz, rather than boosting it. What do you guys do?

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i run it flat with just a touch of bass boost, aural enhancer at 12:00, drive turn up until right before it starts distorting.

mmmmm phatness.