1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ahhh GK 1001-II owners, I need you!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RayO5421, Jul 16, 2008.

1. RayO5421

RayO5421

Jan 15, 2007
    Toms River NJ
    Hey all,
    I've owned a GK 1001-II head for less than a year now (going to say around 8-9 months). In that time, I've really put it through little use. I've been in and out of two bands and for all that time and have really only played 4 or 5 1/2 hour shows (mabey more; no more than 10). I've used it for practice in one of the bands but it worked beautifully for that.

I pair the head with a 4ohm Avatar 410. The head puts out
    450W @ 8ohms and 700W @ 4ohms as I'm sure you know. So I should be getting 700W. I connect the cab and head with a 1/4 to 1/4 cable. I play a Fender American P bass Deluxe (active preamp).

So, with all that in mind, I was jamming with a friend yesterday. We mabey played for about an hour and took a break. I don't think my volume in that time was any louder than I've ever played it before (mabey at 12 o'clock on the master and woofer with the bass eq at around 10).

When we came back from the break we were playing for another hour and a half and out of nowhere the amp just shuts itself off. WTH mate? I know I've played it at that volume before yet its never done this before, I've never seen the "clip" light turn on.

After a few minutes of turning on, off, and plugging in and out it turns on. The few notes I played sounded like nothing even happend. I stopped and just packed up and went home.

So whats the deal? Was I running it too hard for too long or is something really wrong here? My shows are only around
    30-45 minutes but I know professional musicians play 3 hour sets before taking a break; it'd be pretty embarassing to have your amp shut off in the middle of a 3 hour set. Was the head just overheating and needed to cool for a few minutes? Should I connect the head and cab with a Speakon cable rather than a 1/4 to 1/4 cable?

I really need some help as I won't be playing until I figure out whats wrong here and I'd really appreciate your input if you're a GK amp owner.

Thanks!
    Ryan

2. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Make sure the top vent is clear, if it's in a rack you need one space above it to breath. Other than that, check your cables...if all that's good you may have to get it worked on. Sorry, those are usually pretty reliable heads (at least mine was).

3. koentje_bassist

koentje_bassist

Jun 24, 2006
    Belgium
    I use it almost weekly in gigs lasting to 4 hours. And it stands well. 1 space empty above is the way to go.

4. My older GK2000RB did that. The problem was the fans quit working. I got it repaired and no problem since.

I notice that when I'm playing at a decent volume, one fan cycles on/off every so often. Next time you're playing, take a look at the fan to see if it is running. The fan discharge is located at the top of the amp, so you can see it there. Also put your hand over the top to see if you feel any airflow.

I don't use a rack, so I don't have the issue of making sure there is enough space above it.

Like the other posters said, if your amp is in a rack be sure there is at least 1 empty rack space above the amp to allow for proper airflow.

Good luck!!

5. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    mine does that once in a while when i'm really pushing it hard. i believe that it has to do with its auto-protection circuit. it will shut off for 5 seconds and then come back on.it happens when i'm running it at its max power into a 4 ohm load. some of my cabs do it sooner than others.

6. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ

I'm pretty sure the fan is the air intake. I believe it discharges air out the front panel, though I may be mistaken.

7. RayO5421

RayO5421

Jan 15, 2007
    Toms River NJ
    I do have mine in a rack but it is a 4 space and right now its the only peice of equipment in there. The fan turns on after a few minutes of playing and stays on until I turn the amp off. I will try different cables but I'm going to send GK an email really soon. I've heard how reliable these heads are and I love the sound so I'd like to hang on to it/a replacement for a while.

Thanks for your speedy replies, anyone else have anything to say?

8. RayO5421

RayO5421

Jan 15, 2007
    Toms River NJ
    Yeah, I hope mine is just a similar case of yours. Have you ever noticed anything else wrong after playing with it for however long you've had it?

BTW I looked at the site in your profile, those basses look mighty fine!

Bump to others

9. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    Hi Ray,

thanks. no, i haven't had any other problems with it and it works perfect except for that. i am currently corresponding via email with GK about it though. i'm certain that the amp is trying to protect itself (not from overheating) but possibly i am pushing it too hard and it thinks that it has a shorted output, or is pulling too much current at that level. if there is way to eliminate the cut-out problem or at least do it at a higher output level, i sure would like to know how to go about doing it. it did it three times on a gig and i had to make it look like i stopped playing for 5 seconds on purpose (which didn't go over too well). until i get to the bottom of it, i'll be using a different amp (SVT).

10. RayO5421

RayO5421

Jan 15, 2007
    Toms River NJ
    Yeah, I mean the cable hooking the head to the cab I use is a cheapo 1/4 to 1/4 but I don't think I could "overwork" a cable. I think it may be a similar problem to yours; the modern amp trying to turn off and protect itself when it shouldn't. By any chance can you run yours at an 8ohm load and see if it shuts off and tries to save itself?

I will email GK soon about it too, let me know how your conversation goes; feel free to PM me if you'd like. Unfortunately I don't have a backup SVT laying around so I'm kinda screwed :meh: Hopefully GK can tell me whats up.

11. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Possible scenario: 1/4" cable = generally not very good for high-power situations. You may have pushed the amp into overheating as a result.

What kind of 1/4" cable is being used for your cab? I'm hoping you used a 1/4" SPEAKER cable (different gauge and shielding than a regular instrument cable).

The 2001RB actually disables the 1/4" jacks when using it in Bridged Mode (where you can get 1080W RMS @ 4 Ohms). While the 1001RB-II doesn't disable those jacks, it wouldn't surprise me if the issue just so happens to be the cable you're using.

Other possibility: power spike/surge from the outlet. That sort of stuff can happen from time to time when you least expect it. So, it may be nothing at all in the end.

Also... the "clip" light will only go off if you overload the input, right before the preamp. It's not a sign of harm - only a sign that you might be in for some unpleasant distortion and should either turn down your instrument's output or use the -14db Pad. ;)

12. Geddyfleaharris

Geddyfleaharris Supporting Member

That to me is the tell tale statement. I have owned a 700, a 1001 and currently use a 2001. I have rarely if ever heard any of those heads' fans come on. IIRC GK fans only run when the head is hot. If your fan comes on after only a few minutes of playing then I think you have an internal heat or power issue that is best fixed by a tech. I may be way off base but I don't think so.

13. RayO5421

RayO5421

Jan 15, 2007
    Toms River NJ
    Would you reccomend switching to a Speakon cable rather than the 1/4 to 1/4? I'm not sure if it is a speaker cable or instrument cable, I think I just grabed a 1 foot long cable, payed, and walked out.

Now that I think of it, the lights were switching on and off in the bedroom we were playing it, mabey that could be a sign of a power spike?

14. RayO5421

RayO5421

Jan 15, 2007
    Toms River NJ
    So the fans should only come on after heavy use? I'll try giving the setup a lengthy practice sesh at a low volume and see if it turns on. I rarely use the halfstack for practice, usually just a small Fender combo so I can't say if it turns on all the time.

15. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    my fan comes on once in while during a 4 hour gig, but not all that much. and mine does it with either the 1/4" or the speakon output so its not the cable.

16. lowmid1

lowmid1 Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I have had 3 1001's and they all work the same way. After playing for a short period of time, maybe 10-15 minutes at moderate volume the fan comes on and spins at low speed. However, it is so quiet that you can't even tell its on and you have to look closely to tell that it is spinning. All 3 have worked the same way. Never had any shut downs though, and always drive a 4 ohm load....sometimes pretty hard.

17. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    A speaker cable is usually very bulky (even the jacks are bulky) in comparison to a regular instrument cable. It's also more expensive, usually (but not as much as Speakon).

In general... whenever you can go with Speakon, go with Speakon. Besides the durability and better tolerance for high-power scenarios, they also have locking plugs for a secure connection.

Yeah, that's usually a sign. Are you guys all plugged into the same outlet AND running hairdryers or something? :p

18. RayO5421

RayO5421

Jan 15, 2007
    Toms River NJ
    Nah, we weren't plugged into the same outlet, different ones but the fan light was deffinately flickering on and off once and a while ^_^

19. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    i talked with GK today and they want me to send my head to them. they said that it isn't supposed to be doing this. being the second owner of it, mine is not under warranty, so at their fees of $75.00 per hour + parts, i'm not real thrilled about sending it it in.

20. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    Send it in. I don't sit there and look for my fan to come on, but after having my 700RBII for a year, I've only noticed the fan on twice. And when it came on, it was towards the end of a set (I was running a 4ohm load). After the break, the fan was off.

I agree with GFH, the fan coming on after only a few minutes and staying on is a sign of another problem.

Ljazz

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021