Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 5stringDNA, Feb 22, 2003.

1. Upgrade! Fretless is best fool!!!

0 vote(s)
  2. You need 6 strings! Get the Ibanez!

1 vote(s)
  3. Jaco only needed 4 strings! Get the Rivoli!

2 vote(s)
  1. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Ok here's the problem- Currently I have a a fretted 5 active and a fretless 5 passive. However at the same time I have run into three possible options that all seem very desirable.

1) Upgrade the fretless with a good pre-amp for mroe output (its kinda quite) -($150)

2) I ran into an SDGR 6 string with an ash body/ hard maple neck, 3 band EQ and very comfortable action/no buzzing in perfect shape and I would really like to have that high C. (yes an Ibanez I actually like, who would have though?) -($370)

3) I also ran into a 74' Epiphone Rivoli 4 in very nice shape. It plays very well and has an excellent upright sound due to teh flatwounds, hollowbody, and tailpiece dampener. I love that thing. -($370)

I would have to save a few more $$ for options 2 & 3, but I really like all three choices and I can't afford more than one of them. I knwo this is a personal taste/ Only I can decide issue, but what would you guys do?
  2. I only play 4's...so I'd go with the Rivoli.

Or the Ibanez.

The Preamp in the 5 seems less essential, unless you have a real hard time hearing it.
  3. trade electronics between your fivers: make the fretless active, and the fretted passive!!! argh...i am crazy! then you could also buy one of the other basses.
  4. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Fretless fretless fretless fretless fretless fretless!
  5. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    There is no preamp in it right now and the pups are kidnalow output, but overal sound ain't bad.
  6. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    LoL..interesting idea Lloyd, btu I don't think I could do that to my good old Spector. :)