1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ahhh... parting is such sweet sorrow!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Will Kelly, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Will Kelly

Will Kelly

Mar 3, 2010
    TX
    Well, the good new is, I'm going to have a new bass built for me by Upton. Pretty happy about that. :bassist:

The bad news is, I have to divest myself of my current bass, a 1943 Kay. It sure sounds good. I spent a lot of intimate time with it, not only playing, but getting it up and running, and finding the right strings for it.

I have come to discover my small hands are not compatible with a 42" scale bass, which sucks. I use a 40.5 inch Upton hybrid at work, and that scale is just the right fit for me.

I feel a little silly having to sell I bass I really like because of one issue that has nothing to do with the way it sounds, but I think if I want to be able to play for another 30 years, I better put the 42" to bed now.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

2. gprigge

gprigge

Dec 19, 2007
    Rice Lake, Wis.
    I sold my 1949 Kay three months ago and bought a used Upton Medio Fino hybrid. The Kay was my first and I had if for 3 years. I miss the Kay thump and character. But the Upton is a new world, a bigger world, and it's time to move on.

3. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    The Medio Fino hybrid was one of Upton's European imports. Back in 2002, I bought one as an upgrade to the Kay that arrived new at my home in 1967. I was never interested in playing the Kay again. It just sat in a corner. Not long after that, I used the Medio Fino and the Kay to trade up to a carved bass. A nice carved top is truly a joy! :)

4. nicechuck

nicechuck

Jul 9, 2007
    Those of us who only have experience with ply basses can't really imagine what a good carved bass is capable of, even tho we hear the recordings of great basses in great bassists hands. I think that's one reason some plys sound better to us than they would to others. I can also see how letting go of a beloved instrument you have a history with would be difficult. Hope you find the bass that you love

5. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    I went from a hybrid (Chrissy) to a fully carved bass (Cleveland). I was on the hybrid for about 4-5 years). When I got my hands on the Cleve, I kicked myself for not having done so.

I don't know how to describe it. The sound is better of course, but not really _that_ noticable in a practical sense. What I notice after some time with it is that playing it is simply easier. You hear yourself better and there are less distractions because you're not complaining about this, that, and the other thing. You get on with the core business of making music not fighting the tool in your hands, or being distracted by it.

Congrats. I think you will be very pleased and enriched by the upgrade. Once I did it, I never looked back once.

6. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    +1!!!

7. nicechuck

nicechuck

Jul 9, 2007
    That makes alot of sense