1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ahhh...the U.S. Open...my favorite tournament

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tendril, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Tendril

Tendril

Sep 28, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    simply because I'm a small, mean-spirited man who loves to hear the pro's cry: "Oh Noes, I can't shoot 24 under par!! Oh Noes, the rough is too deep!!"

I say, let them try to play on the dog tracks I frequent where you're hitting sand trap full of water and gravel and footprints.

Or greens where there is a layer of sand and aeration holes.

Or...even more heinous...the duck poop all around the golf course!!

Sissies.

2. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome Inactive

Oct 1, 2010
    Winnipeg
    My favorite is Sawgrass, with the British being not far behind. But you're right, watching these guys struggle provides a certain degree of satisfaction........fuelled by envy, of course

3. You do realize, of course, that were we to play a US Open caliber course, set up for a typical US Open, we would be lucky to even break 100! Myself, I'd be lucky to even shoot 120! ;)

4. Tendril

Tendril

Sep 28, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Boatloads of envy, to be sure.

5. Tendril

Tendril

Sep 28, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Don't try to defuse my evil glee with your steenking logic!!:spit:

6. I'd gladly take a 120 at a course like, say, Augusta!

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    The beauty of the US Open is any of us can play in it if we can qualify.

-Mike

8. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome Inactive

Oct 1, 2010
    Winnipeg
    Yeah. A big beautiful "if".

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Check out the requirements to qualify. It isn't impossible like perhaps playing in the Masters or PGA Championship.

Then again, as a Canuckistanian, you're out anyway. Do you guys have an America's Hat Open?

-Mike

10. Which is to say, we can't play.

11. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome Inactive

Oct 1, 2010
    Winnipeg
    Playing a course in US Open conditions wouldn't be much fun. Im not a masochist.

Besides, what fun is it watching these guys make bogey if Im making triples on every hole myself?

12. You and me both! I'd be filling up Rae's Creek with balls at Amen Corner! Not to mention the approach at 15 and the tee shot at 16!

13. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    There's a local course here that is a qualifier. Before the tournament, they start to grow the roughs, and prep the greens. Instant guarantee it will add about 10 strokes to your game. The roughs are ridiculously thick and the greens are like putting on ice. It's so brutal I just don't play the course around that time of the year.

14. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome Inactive

Oct 1, 2010
    Winnipeg
    My old man's course hosts a Canadian Tour event each summer, and for a few years I played it the weekend before. The set-up of that kicks my arse, never mind a US Open set-up.

15. Tendril

Tendril

Sep 28, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    For some reason, as bad of a golfer as I am, I LOVE brutal courses. Give me something with hills, tight fairways and deep rough.

I guess it makes me feel better to say I shot a 119 on a course with a 136 slope than a 112 on a flat wide cow pasture.

16. The way I play, and keep score I might qualify. Until they realized what I did.

So, I can shoot a 72 easily. It's the reality that's a problem.

The first number is the number of balls lost. In this case, 7.

The second number is the number of holes at par or better. In this case, 2.

:)

Y'all have fun.

edg

17. 5StringFool

5StringFool

Jun 10, 2011
    Greenup, KY
  18. Ha!

19. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    :D

I wonder how Id fare if I were to Wii Disc Golf these courses?

20. [​IMG]

This is the approach to the 18th hole at The Olympic Club. You're 30 feet below the green, about 63 yards away, the pin is cut towards the front of the green, and the green slopes towards the fairway. The wind is in your face, and the ball is below your feet. A hard lob wedge will get it there, but don't put too much backspin on the ball, or it'll roll right off the green! This is probably what the leader will be facing come late Sunday afternoon.

This screenshot is from the Jack Nicklaus 6 Golden Bear Challenge golf sim.