Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ahhh!!! WHICH TO BUY!!!????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 311 fan, Mar 4, 2001.

1. 311 fan

311 fan

Sep 24, 2000
    La Verne, CA
    Im a four stringer moving up to a 5. Im looking for a new bass. Im currently rippen it up on an Ibanez GSR 200. My mind is being torn to pieces here. I dont know which to buy. Heres whats on my list.
    1. Schecter Diamond Series Stilletto Deluxe 5
    2. Fernandes Tremor 5 string standard
    3. Ibanez BTB 405
    Anyone here know anything about these basses?
    What would you buy?

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ok here's a rundown (Wow! I'm actually helping someone...I think)

Schecter: Decent bass for your buck. I've played a bunch (my local guitar joint is a Schecter Dealer) and they are a very decent line of basses. Not the best, but definitely not the worst by any means. The stilletos look nice, and play pretty well. You might not be blown away by the sound and tone, but other than that, a completly respectable bass.

Fernades Tremor: They are notorious for having tight string spacing. Really tight string spacing. If that doesn't bother you, then go get a MIM Fender Jazz fiver. They work better, and though they don't scream "rock" you'll be amazed hot versatile they are.

Ibanez BTB: These bad boys are a great bass. Killer for rock, and have some nice features for a decent price. Look nice in black or walnut finish. They have a wide, thin neck that some people don't like. It does however, allow for some good slapping andf popping if you're not to accurate yet.

Over all, I'd say your best bet is with the Ibanez BTB405. It's great all around, is fairly versatile, and is not by any means a bad bass. Only word of warning: try before you buy on the BTB, the necks are a little different. Hope this helps.

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    The Ibanez there is FAR AND AWAY the best of those three. Completely murders them, ESPECIALLY the Fernandes (yuck!).

The Ibanez is the only choice if you can handle the spacing.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Angus is right...abiet more enthusiasic than I.... :)

5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    BTW, Brendan, the 405 doesnt come in walnut or flat black. Thats the 505, it has an ash body. The 405 is quilted maple over alder. It does come in trans black though, and ill be ordering me a pair in a week or two.

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hm...I guess I was wrong...Oh well, at least someone here was right.

7. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I am partial to the Schecter...but then...I play a Schecter...:)

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I just played a BTB-400 & they are really nice. Nice maple top's, nice E.Q.'s.

P.S. the BTB-400 has a basswood body w/a maple body.

How about a Spector NS-2000 4Q. They're really nice!!!!

9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    No; if you check the Ibanez site, its Alder and Maple.

10. 311 fan

311 fan

Sep 24, 2000
    La Verne, CA
    Thanks a bunch guys. Im a huge fan of Ibanez and the string spacing dosent bother me at all really. Ill probably go with that.