Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ahhh!!!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Sascrotch, Mar 11, 2001.

1. Sascrotch

Sascrotch

Feb 18, 2001
    Costa Mesa, CA
    When i move up and down strings with my strumming hand (the hand plucking the strings) your suppose to use your index and middle fingers. But i end up using one finger and my teacher tells me its not right, but its a subconscious thing. Anyone know any techniques to fix this?

2. practice slow, its all motor skill

3. If your teacher is imposing a 2 finger technique on you, then he's probably not the best teacher you could find...when I started out on bass, I started with 2 fingers because it seemed 'natural' to me. Also, my teacher told me that you can use however many fingers you want or a pick, as long as you can get what you want to acomplish done.
    Also, whe I started out I felt the need to plant my thumb somewhere, so I just left it resting on the pickup.
    Now, as I've progressed, I still use 2 fingers, but can impliment a 3rd if I need to. Also, I have my thumb trail behind my hand, as in when I play on the E it's on the pickup, when I play on the A it's on the E etc, although sometimes if I'm feeling lazy I'll just leave it on the pickup or the E, depending on what/where I'm playing. :D

4. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    How many fingers have you got?
    How many fingers should you pluck with?
    (Hint: both questions come with the same answer!)

And don't do as I and SheepMan did, resting=fixating your thumb. Every modestly good player I've seen use it for plucking or muting. The latter by keeping its ridge to the lower strings, when not plucking with it. Or slapping...

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden

6. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Originally posted by Oysterman
    How many fingers have you got?
    On my plucking hand, five.
    How many fingers should you pluck with?
    As many as I prefer. In my case, four.
    (Hint: both questions come with the same
    answer!)

Hmmm... nope, they didn't. :p

Oyster, you have still to reach your limits! Isn't it great to know you can still develop? :D

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

OM - You have 5 fingers and a thumb - wow!!

I only have 4 and 1 thumb. :)

8. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    :confused:
    There's something I don't seem to understand here. 4 + 1 = 5, no? I have five fingers on each hand, no?

9. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Hey, Oyster....
    How would we know? You count, then tell us. Or let someone else count if you're not certain....;)

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well I was always taught that the "opposable" thumb was what made us primates so successful at things like using tools, as opposed to having just fingers or toes. The thumb is unique and I use it a lot in my playing, but as it's not a finger - a lot of aliens in movies don't have thumbs - and then there's the "gripping hand" in "The Mote in God's Eye" !! ;)

11. i think your teacher should let you work it out for yourself. when i started playing, i used index finger for E string, middle for A string, and ring for D string. if i needed to play notes on the G string i just shifted each finger up a string and rested the thumb on the E.
    eventually, i started alternating the index and middle fingers naturally on one string just because it was easier. sometimes i'll still just use the ring finger to play a couple notes on the D string, but that tendency is fading. what i'm trying to say is, if you keep playing and get comfortable with the instrument, you'll discover better technique.

12. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    if you want to comply with your teachers' instruction start practising slowly with 3 fingers and when you 'get in a hurry' you will be more inclined to play with 2 than 1

13. If I'm not mistaken, Motown session great James Jamerson only used one finger on his right hand to pluck instead of the usual two.