Ahhhh!! Minor Scales!!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by werbo1, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Guess what my theory teacher assigned me for one night.

Write all 3 forms of all 15 minor scales ascendeing and descending. Then indicate half steps and raised 6ths and 7ths...

2. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    What? You'll just writing the same thing over 30 times with a different starting position.

Fire him/her.
  3. exactumondo...45 times though. hes a cool dude though. Just a homework man
  4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I thought id give you a hand since this thread doesnt quite fit in Off Topic as is:

These are minor scales:

These are major scales:
  5. Jeseus H. Christ. No melodics or harmonics?!
  6. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    That's what, 15 minutes work?
  7. scales

Yuk! but the meat of it is what counts

Very supplement to the diet I say

Ohh BTW I'm speaking in a fishing pointview :D
  8. Well, this is talkbass, isn't it?

9. scales r incredibly important, but i dont c the need to write the same pattern with different notes over and over again. maybe he should have made u play the same pattern on your bass on different spots on the fretboard over and over again and write them out once.
  10. Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Well, by doing this he learns the notes in the scale, rather than just the muscle memory of the form.
  11. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    Sorry, I think I must be missing something here..

There are 15 minor scales?!

Also, what do you mean by "3 forms"?
  12. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003

I assumed he meant Harmonic, Melodic and Natural, in all keys...

maybe he wants him to do enharmonic keys like C#/Db ?? and maybe that's where the 15 comes from... C, and 7 each of the 'flat' keys, 7 each of the 'sharp' keys???

it could be good brainwork because you have to deal with nasty things like double-flats etc..
  13. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    That's what I took it to mean.

Natural, harmonic and melodic of C#, F#, B, E, A, D, G, C, F, Bb, Eb, Ab, Db, Gb and Cb.

Definately a useful exercise, deals with all sorts of theoretical concepts, such as the cycles of fourths and fifths, key signatures, scale construction and intervals...
  14. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    Ah, I see. The description baffled me completely - I've never heard natural, harmonic and melodic described as different 'forms' of minor scale before. I've also never heard anyone refer to "15 keys" either, every day's a school day!
  15. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    There's way more if you're want to start thinking about double flats and sharps, but it's kind of academic for diatonic scales. When C# is enharmonic for Db, you might as well think in terms of having 5 flats in the key signature rather than 7 sharps.
  16. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    Yeah, I see.

In some cases I think exercises like this are theory for theory's sake, but on the other hand, I've played from charts that move into Cb for a few bars, and C# is common, as is Gb.

I guess it's important to know the theory so you dont get thrown by a chart piece of music that does go into Cb, etc.
  17. Kevjmyers

Dec 10, 2004
    Boulder. CO
    Wow! Let us know how that turns out (when your done in 10 minutes). More importantly write them out umpteen dozen times and use flashcards to test yourself whenever your bored.
  18. 10 minutes!? ugh...took me an hour and a half and i know all the key signatures pretty well. Two clefs per that like a baillion scales
  19. Heh, but what about harmonic and melodic minor then? Check out the modes in those scales, boy!
  20. As a full-time student of music theory, I'm one of the few musicians I know personally who don't complain about enharmonic scales. They have a great deal of practical application when composing or reading music.

Example: If you're changing keys in, say, an interval of an ascending minor 3rd, starting on F, you're going to go F to Ab to Cb, not F to Ab to B. Ab to B is an augmented 2nd, not a minor 3rd, even though they sound the same. It's very academic, yes, but it helps you keep track of what the music is doing.