1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AHHHH my poor New Jazz bass! Anyone accidentally beat up their Beautiful basses??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RaginRog, Nov 8, 2010.

1. RaginRog

RaginRog Last guy you want to see is Employee Relations guy

Nov 29, 2009
    Formerly Staten Island
    Dammit!!

My poor 2010 MIA Sunburst Jazz bass has been taking some accidental abuse...at HOME of all places. I accidentally dented the back of the body a couple of weeks ago, and just tonight an empty glass fell off my practice table and landed square on the front of the body (between the knobs and bridge). It left 2 rather large dents...

I routinely gig a 99 Jazz bass (in a punk band!) that still hasn't been dinged this bad.

Anyone else here do any type of damage to their new or expensive basses??

2. I dropped a transformer from an amp on the back of my jag once....that left a nice ding in the finish. On accident, of course.

3. the first day i had my marcus miller V i hit the headstock on my door way and put a nice little dent at the end of it. battle scars add character to instruments IMO

4. Emre Hanli

Emre Hanli

Aug 22, 2009
    No pics = no accidental damage

5. dearmondstrings

dearmondstrings

Nov 8, 2010
    when i was younger, i was riding my bike to a band practice and dropped my bass onto the road from standing height while moving. suprisingly, still works today and no marks at all whatsoever ;)

6. RaginRog

Nov 29, 2009
    Formerly Staten Island
    Here you go...not the greatest quality, but it was tough getting the angle/lighting to cooperate. My fingers show a bit of the rounded dent caused by the glass.

l_878bf8c633434cac9b18161296623c6b.

l_1e70f1de6e294513ae3d41f01c866979.

7. RaginRog

Nov 29, 2009
    Formerly Staten Island
    Headstocks always take abuse!! :D

My fairly new P bass has a wicked chip courtesy of my drummers cymbal.

8. PostApocalypso

PostApocalypso

May 21, 2010
    The Canada
    Those aren't too bad. :bawl:

Looks like it was a beautiful bass... at least now you can stop worrying about dings and scratches on your new bass and play that bad boy like you stole it.

9. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    Every bass I own has it's own battle scars, from the chunks of paint out of my Vester that my brother still denies dropping down the stairs.

My warwick... man what hasn;t happened to this guy I'm hinestly surprised it hasn't been completely destroyed.

My VM Jazz came with a giant crack in the paint.

I like the character it adds, it it's dirty and banged up it means you're doing it right IMO.
    If they aren;t you aren;t playing it enough

10. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    Sorry you dinged your new bass. As to has anyone else having accidental dings with some of their more beloved instruments, the answer would be HELL YES! Unless you live in a world with padded walls and no sharp edges, and take your instruments out of their cases with oven mitts on only the high church feast days in November, chances are you will eventually put a ding or two in your instrument as a natural course of events , and you already know that. The accidental damaging drop due to a shoulder strap coming loose, or the yanking a cord with my foot and sending an attached to the other end, beloved bass off it's stand onto the floor for some really nifty boogers in the wood as a result, are just a few things I've experienced. It stinks when such things happen, but take heart and know a lot of folks here feel your pain.

11. over_the_moon

over_the_moon Guest

Jan 19, 2010
    The ceiling above my guitar stand (it's a bit lower than the rest of the ceiling) has a few dings courtesy of the headstock on my StingRay. I need to be more careful when I take the bass off. No damage to the Ray, though!

12. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    This and the fact that I put on a wild live show are the reason that I only play relics. :)

13. eh it happens. The more you have,the less they hurt.

14. 2400

Sep 4, 2009
    Antwerp, Belgium
    My 08 MIA shows similar damage. I accidentally dropped a Death By Audio Fuzz War on it one rehearsal. Those things are heavy. Left a big crater in the finish, way past what you'd call a ding. :(

15. jelenko

jelenko

Jan 21, 2008
    The more scars your bass has, the less you'll notice them.

I got a nitro finished bass so i'd relic it while playing, and still, the first scratch hurt. even though that's what i wanted. it just wasn't new any more. now it's a little dingy and scratched by a picik, and the colour faded on the corners and so on and so forth... it's supersexy that way :D

16. I used to beat up my gear pretty heavily during gigs. Crashed into the drums, into the pedal board... one time the other guitarist jumped on my shoulders during a song and I crashed my guitar right into the monitor and broke 4 strings ahahah! I was playing with a MIJ strat at that time. Like 5string5fingers said... the more you have 'em, the less they hurt... I'd say the more you have 'em, the more you like 'em.

17. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    That is the way they are supposed to look.

18. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    I know it is contrary to the way most people would handle it but I would personally not keep a new bass that I did that to, it would immediately be up for sale.

19. dubstylee

dubstylee

Feb 9, 2007
    No big thing man, adds character. I hit the headstock of my P-Bass on the ceiling fan while it was running, put a nice ding in it . . . .... .whatever

20. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    I wouldn't worry that much