1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ahhhhh time to vent

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Flag2Flag, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Flag2Flag

Flag2Flag

Dec 30, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Oh boy im mad. last week or so, my band (were all in highschool) had the battle of the bands try outs. we played awsome, and according to everyone who saw the tryouts, we played the best out of anyone there. so anyways we were all stoked, and the next day, we found that we got cut. everyone who saw the performance was really mad that we didnt make it. as it turns out, every single one of the judges was a student, and girls who were all partial to the "emo" bands that tried out. sry for making it so loong, but i feel that ive gotta vent

2. Don't trip. I know how disappointing that can be. There will be more and the next ones could be very different.

Battle of the bands are just silly pop-contests anyway, right?

--tz

3. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Stay away from battle of the bands/contests. The judges are people who know waaaay less about music than you do.

4. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    I always looked at those things as more of a business meeting. Take your business cards, meet everybody you can, hand out your card. That used to be my only chance to meet my fellow club warriors. I was too busy gigging to go out on nights off. Didn't want to, anyway. So go, play, schmooze like crazy, don't worry about contest results. The best band never wins, but handing out your phone number will do you some good.

5. be a rockstar about it.. plug your own gear on outside and turn up 10 fold and drown them out.. and bring the crowd to you

:bassist:

or does that only work in the movies?

6. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    don't worry about it. those things are worthless anyway, what did they win? a set of bass and guitar strings, a pair of drumsticks, and a mic cord. Make the anger fuel you guys to practice more and put more effort and energy into your music. Fuel the fire to defeat the EMO bands.

on a side note, i hate emo. i wish you would have won too.

7. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    Tough break.

But as all the others so far have said............its very seldom about the best band, just the one that appeals to a select few who get to make the decisions for the masses.

8. jordanm

jordanm

Feb 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Just think of it this way, it could be worse. You could be in an Emo band..

9. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    What's emo?

10. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Oh no..not the "What's Emo?" question again...

11. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Well, I assume it stands for something.

12. Major +1. Since you're in high school you may not realize the trviality of what is essentially a glorified popularity contest, but we've all lived through that at one point or another. I've never seen anything good come out of a high school battle of the bands. Ever.

13. that really sucks. Emo is a gay term created by modern teenagers by the way. Stands for emotional. Not good enough to be gothic, but doesnt want to be normal. Emo people often have cuts in their wrists because as i said before they are gay. Otherwise known as Emo Fags, ****ing Emo fag, or what a ****ing gay emo fag.

14. I don't know. Emo may be quite lame, but certainly no lamer than goth, and at least a couple notches above the kids obsessed with calling people "fags"

15. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I see, so emo is a style of music?

16. ric1312

ric1312 Banned

Apr 16, 2006
    chicago, IL.
    ewwwwwwwwwwww emo bands. emo= an excuse for crappy screamers who can't even scream on key to get in front of a mike and "act," like they have mental problems.

emo= emotional for anyone who wanted to know.

Funny, I though all music had emotions as a main part of the sub text of the music and the songs.

17. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    what does homosexuality have to do with emo?
    and what does putting down homosexuals have to do with emo?

18. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    That's my understanding... although good luck trying to nail down what style it is...

The closest I can get to figuring out emo is that you have to sweep your long, dyed black hair off to one side and look sad. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Oh, and you have to wear girls' pants. Think Hot Topic without the rock and roll.

19. dont forget the really small shirts that just touch the top of your pants....

20. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    gotta act sad too, write a whole bunch of songs about not having a girlfriend and no no one wanting to be your friend.

think about the absolute worst parts of being a punk, combined with the absolute worst parts about being a goth and that would be emo.

sorry to hear bout your loss man. try to stay away from the battles, they are a waste of time.