Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AHHHHHH!!!! Look whats happen to this Sabre

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Deano Destructo, Jun 20, 2003.

1. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Look what some smoo did to this awesome bass. I'd think about buying it for this price if there was some way to restore it. Whatta you guys think? Cool or uncool?:confused:

Poor, Poor Sabre

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    :eek:

<small> dials the number for Amnesty International USA </small>

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

:spit:

4. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    ::looks for shotgun:: :bawl: That is not cool. If you wanted DiMarzios and looks like single coils, BUY A JAZZ BASS don't deface brutally a Sabre. That's all

5. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Following the candle light vigil, I'll be seving tea and cookies in the lobby.:( :bawl:

6. om new pickgaurd and try to get pickups and preamp. seems like its a easy fix.

7. Just ask John Bobbitt about easy fixes....;) :eek: :bawl:

8. Deano Destructo

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Besides the bass being worth 3 times that in asking price unaltered and twice that in sound IMHO. Finding the pickups and preamp to a Sabre would be worst than finding a needle in a haystack I would think. Granted the pickguard would be a piece of cake. Ask yourself this though. If these parts were so easy to find how come the seller did'nt locate them and then sell the bass for closer to $1500.00 ?:confused:

9. It's only worth $1500 if it's original, I think.

Anyway, if you're not trying to restore it to precisely original shape, but maybe "upgraded original", some Basslines or Bart MM-style pickups and a U-Retro preamp would go nicely on that thing.

Mike

10. Deano Destructo

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Very True. Hmmmmmmm now to dig
    up $500 :D

11. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Here is my $0.02...

If it plays well and has no mechanical problems (truss rod, etc.) Then a good playing, great sounding, worn in old bass of that caliber is worth the money. I'd buy it and play it as is and love it as a great player. It looks like a great bass, that should go to someone who will appreciate it for what it is and play the poop out of it. DiMarzio's aren't all that bad, it might sound great as is!

However, if you're a "collector" who only wants a bass `cause it's worth money and doesn't play them... then this bass might not be for you.

However, consider that none of my basses are original, not even my `71 P-bass. To me they are tools, and I "tweak" or modify them to fit my needs and desires. I don't buy them to sell them.

:^)~

12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'm with you. I once saw a Black Saber in better condition with EMG J's. It was on layaway or it'd be mine!!!!

13. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    :eek: No thanks.

14. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    That's a shame.

Uncool I say.

15. Stingray4Christ

Stingray4Christ

Jan 28, 2003
    NY
    That's like spraying grafiti on the Statue of Liberty! I weep for all fellow Ernie Ball/Music Man Owners:bawl:

16. sdguyman

sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    This is a Leo Fender Music Man/ Pre EB guitar. Just bustin your balls.

If you are looking for a guitar with original equip, I say no because this is not an easy fix. You will never find Original MM Sabre Jazz PU's, not even if you beg G&L for them. :bawl:

17. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Except the wood underneath will be all chiseled...

Jeez, those were made in the 70s. Whatever this guy was snortin' was ahead of the curve at the time...

18. I don't think it will be that bad- the original p/up routs would have been in about the same spots- only widened slightly for the J p/ups.

a couple of years ago the Bass Centre, Wapping advertised an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray that used to belong to (very plodding)Stereophonics bassist Richard Jones-

the p/up had been replaced with 2 J's, and a new pickguard put on:eek:
    why anyone would do this baffles me- just get an active Jazz bass, surely? (he now plays Shecter Jazz and PJ models). this bass is shown in an Elites strings ad.

what's worse is the price they put on it- over £2000, for a "piece of rock memorabilia" :rolleyes:

19. i like it.

20. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i'm no fan of musicman,but when i see a defenseless bass being tramatized i cant help but to get a bit agitated:mad: . why cant they pick on a bass they'er own size(like an up-right) BULLIES:spit: