Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ahmad Jamal Trio Members?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Andy Allen, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Does anyone know who's backing Ahmad Jamal in his current Trio?

He is playing in Hollywood next week, and I'd like to know more about the show before I try to stretch time and money to go.

Neither the venue or Ahmad's web page have been helpful in this regard.

Thanks,

Andy

2. Tom Hutton

Tom Hutton

Nov 22, 2004
    Indiana
    He's touring with Idris Muhammad on drums and James Cammack on bass, if the U. of Chicago website is to be believed...
    I'm going to see the show on Sunday night and looking forward to it a lot - I can give you a review on Monday if you like :D

3. Andy Allen

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Please do... :) - I may be able to get to the late (10.30pm) show on Thursday, but will have to do a bit of 'creative scheduling' to do so.

It's probably a no brainer to take the opportunity to go see him...but I'll look forward to the review anyway.

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    That lineup played here at the U. last year, and sounded great - great energy, and a ton of class. Jim Cammack was also a cool hang, and a BIG fan of American Standard basses.

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Airbass...just go, and then color me this shade of envy, ya lucky bastard!

If you make it, let us know how it went.

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Second on Jim Cammack being a really great guy.

Oh and just since we're talking about Ahmad, a few years back I was playing a benefit at St. Peter's and Jamil Nasser played my bass, we got to hang out for a minute. A real sweetheart, but a very authoritative player. There was no question about who was in charge...

7. Andy Allen

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    This is getting better and better...

An unexpected sub gig tonight will provide the money, and *if* I can move a rehearsal I'll be able to get to the earlier Wednesday show, which means that *if* we can get a babysitter my wife will be able to come with me, which will make a real good night of it.

A lot of *ifs*, and like all good plans... :eyebrow:

Still, I'm starting to really look forward to it.

8. I'd like to announce a small threat. If at least one of you Mothers doesn't post a review on this band! :eyebrow:

9. Tom Hutton

Tom Hutton

Nov 22, 2004
    Indiana
    As promised...
    My review consists of 6 words - you *must* go to this gig!

It was a great show, unfortunately my limited jazz vocabulary can't do it justice. They played a lot of new stuff, some standards I recognise but can't remember the names of, and the famous Jamal stuff like Poinciana and But Not For Me. The trio had, as ChrisF says, a ton of energy, and a great group dynamic. Ahmad Jamal's playing was great, pretty sparse, leaving plenty of room for the rhythm section to shine. To try and put his sound into a context I know a bit better, he sounded like a more forceful John Lewis.
    I thought the bass was kind of poorly amplified - for a lot of the first set the sound was somewhat indistinct. I don't know what got sorted by the second set, but James Cammack took a few really nice solos, and he had a great sound. I got the chance to chat to him for a few minutes after the show - really friendly guy, and a big fan of both American and New Standards. He was playing a laminate Cleveland NS last night, and told me he had a fully carved one on order, as well as owning an American Standard.
    Anyhow, it was a great show - if you get the chance I highly recommend it :D

BTW, The tour dates for the next year or so can be found here:

http://www.elloradesigns.com/itinerary/jamal_ahmad.html

10. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    He's been playing a nice little French bass around town...

11. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Is that the one wearing the short little black and white lacy bass bib? I'm sure his Cleveland would be very distressed to find out that he's been stepping out on the town with a petite French lady. :eyebrow:

12. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    That is interesting. I was going to pipe in something about that; I have the Olympia 2000 recording with George Coleman, and the bass sound is so indistinct that it makes the recording very hard to listen to for me. Pitches from the bass sound like they are coming from the bottom of a well.

13. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    James has always been one of my favorites...