Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ahoy, I have a problem w/ my head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nibblz, Mar 8, 2004.

1. nibblz

nibblz

Mar 8, 2004
    Howdy, I have a GK 1001 RB head, and I just recently purchased it from a good friend of mine.
    Now for some reason after a few min. of playing, the volume gets very low, and then just dead, you can't hear anything. If I take the cord out of my bass and tap the top of it, you can hear the annoying ass buzzing noise coming through the cab, But it's as if it's not getting the signal from the bass, I talked to my friend whom sold it to me, and he said that he'd never heard of that. So I get to send it in and hope that someone can fix it. I'm rather pist of cuz I just F***in bought it.
    If anyone has any ideas of how to fix it or what might be happening, and any info on who to go to. I would be very very appreciative. Thanks again.
    Nick.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Avast! AAaarrrrrrrrrgh!

3. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Just curious, what bass are you using?

4. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Ahoy,

I had a similar problem with my GK 700/112 combo. I am relativly handy with a soldering iron, and I have taken things apart since I was five, so when I opened up the amp and found unsoldered connections where the pots are solered to the pre-apm board, I just resoldered them. (Wow, that was a long sentance. Even for a pirate!)

This has been similar to other compliants about the last generation of GKs. Since the fix, the amp has been fine.

Take it to a fix-it shop and have them check out the pre-amp board, or buy a NEW pre-amp from GK for $80.00! If you can replace it, you will probably fix the issue and have the new voicing.

Good luck. It's a great amp, once the bugs are ironed out.

5. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    if you have an active bass maybe the bettery is dying and just holding enough charge for the first few minutes of use...

6. jazzyb

jazzyb

Feb 7, 2004
    norfolk england
    Good point about the battery, if it's active bass. Have you tried new battery or different bass?