Ahpex vs. Aphex vs. ??? (Yes, chips, it's been less than a week.....)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by IcedEarthWOM, Jan 26, 2006.

1. IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    Right now I use the Aphex Punch Factory at full throttle and it nicely thickens/brings up the bass in my signal, but at the expence of noise :(

As for my other FX (Fuzz + Wah) or my bass causing that noise: I have tried each individually and the noise level is acceptable. Even the wah (which is on all the time). But that's cus it's only rocked fwd with the fuzz on, which covers the hiss :D

I have 2 questions:

1) I was wondering if the Big Bottom section of the Bass Xciter would be better in terms of noise/use (to thickin/bring up the bass lost at the wah)

2) If there were any other types of effects or brands of compressors that could do the same thing without adding noise (even at maxxxx)
  2. told you so :smug:

Anyway, any compressor at full throttle will create buckloads of noise. in my experience anyway.

I tried a bass exciter the other day, and it works a charm. Just played a bongo (it was sweeeeet = GAS) through the Aphex, into a little mark bass combo with one 10" speaker. Even then, you could really hear the massive difference just turning it on and off. Even with al the controls set flat it thickened up the tone very nicely.

It may take you a while to get your perfect setting, depending on how you like your toned. I love mids and growling sounds, so it took me a while to find some settings to thicken up the bass, keep the mids/growl and get a good sound for pop and higher notes.

Once i get a few more things in order im purchasing one.
  3. IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    Ya, I know :D

S**T (I can still use the PF as a DI though :cool: )

Are you talking tone or noise level?
    (Please let it be tone.....)

Me to :bassist: What settings did you end up using?
  4. For hearing the difference, im talking about the tone. The pedal sounded pretty damn quiet to me, and i think its a true bypass?

And for the settings, i cannot remember, but it made everything sound fat, tight, and still the growl was there. This thing makes your bass sound bigger, and another plus of this is you shouldnt have to push your amp as hard for volume, and ive heard it can help you cut through better, but im not too sure on that yet.

The bass exciter is a DI aswell, so i imagine it would be good for recording too.

If you're looking for a compressor to fatten up your tone, the punch factory probably wasnt the best choice as i believe it is quite a transparent compressor. It would be great for evening out your playing and adding some sustain. But its less of a "effect" then some other compressors.

Get yourself a looper, and an original guvnor, and run the guvnor with the punch factory before it in the loop. Sounds awsome. OOOOORRRRRRrr, just send me the punch factory, im looking for one :p
  5. IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    Swwwwwwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet :D

Sound like exactly what I need.......

Yesturday I managed to record directly from the NS-2 on my board. I split the signal, went through 2 plug adapters (1/4 mono -> 1/8 mono and 1/8 mono -> 1/8 stereo), then into a small tape recorder. Recorded, rewound, then play it with my stereo and notice only a small diff clean, and slightly more of a diff with fuzz.

Hahahaha, you wish. I'll probably use it to "even out my playing"/as a DI for recording. I've acctually decided to not get a sansamp (again :scowl: :oops: ) cus I liked the sound I was getting, just needed a little fattening (al-la Xciter :D )
  6. c'mon.... Just give it to me. You know you want to.