Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AI and flite, good combination?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wotnwhy, Jan 29, 2005.

1. my current rig in a sansamp RBI preamp, Gemini 1600 power amp and a Glockenklang Double (2x12) cab. it's a brilliant set up and sounds incredible. but as much as i love it, i need to make some changes,

1. the head is WAAAY too heavy. it actually weighs more than the cab (which is 29kg)!
    2. although the Glock is plenty loud, it just feels like i need to be moving more air... i just cant feel it enough
    3. i want more versatility. it's a pain dragging the Glock to acoustic jams and gigs.

so, the replacement rig i've come up with is this:

~ Acoustic Image Focus head.
    will be delivering the same amount of power as i'm using now (600w), but only weighs 4lbs!!!

~ Flite Sound 112MH and 115.
    my current setup has 2 12" speakers, so with these cabs i'm essentially replacing 1 of the 12's with a 15 (more air moved) and adding a 5" mid driver. and i also have a 1x12 full range cabs for the smaller stuff.

so, this setup seems absolutely perfect. it solves all my gripes with my current setup. both the head and cabs are highly rated for EUB use (which will be my nest purchase), AND i've got a CRACKING deal on it all, only a smidge over £1000 (about $2000)!!!

but of course, as with everthing so perfect, theres a catch...
    i've never played through and AI head or Flite cabs. now i try to achieve a transparent as possible sound from my rigs, and both AI and Flite seem to come accross as being in the pretty uncoloured end of the market. but i'd like to hear your opinions as well, has anybody played this (or a similar) setup? how did you find it? do you think this setup will be loud enough for most gigs (i don't want to have to change rigs again because there's not enough volume)? and finally, are there any other setups that solve each of my problems that are available for around the same price that i should look at?

cheers

TOm

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    The AI is only 600watts at 2ohms load :)

3. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    If you like the Sansamp sound you could pick up one of the new AI Focus slave amps that are coming out - 600w @ 4 ohms and use a Bass Driver or Acoustic DI. I just picked up an Acoustic DI to use with my EUB and it sounds great - warms up the inherent twang nicely. This way if you have to play on someone else's amp you can still use the SADI to get your sound without lugging your gear.

4. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Your AI Focus and Flite cab set up sounds like a fantastic idea and one that I've considered. I'd probably go with 2 of the 112 variant cabinets. I don't think you'd notice much difference witht the 15. Just my thoughts.
    By the way, the AI website and everything that I've read on the Focus states that it is rated at 600w at a 4 ohm load and that it has a 4 ohm minimum load.

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Woah, i was so wrong. It is 600watts at 4ohms. My bad :)

6. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com

As been corrected, the Focus is 600 watts @ 4 ohm. However as to Ricks request I have driven it with two medium Schroeder boxes which are 4 ohm each and dropped the amp to 2 ohm. The amp ran find with the 2 ohm load. The problem is someone trying to use 2 4x10 cabs which might create a strain on the amp because of the 8 speaker's and only 800 or so watts at 2 ohm. Now I haven't run it in a 2 ohm load for any long length period, but I did run it up and for a little bit.

However a 2 or 3 speaker setup cabinet with a 4 ohm is ideal with the focus or the New slave amp. The New slave amp is the power section of the focus. Its ideal for running with other preamps, tube or solid state. When I got the first focus many months ago I flipped out. I called Rick and said build me just the power section of the focus. He said he had planned on a rack unit at some point, but would work on just the amp in a small box and get back to me. I had sold the Acoustic Image for years, but never having a head/power section with enough power to drive larger cabs and reaching the volume that electric players needed it wasn't ever a primary recommendation amp for me to customers. With the New focus its perfect and now with the slave amp, being able to add it to the focus to drive another 4 ohm cab you can have a 1200 watt dual cab setup with plenty of volume. Or, get one or two slave amps and a solid state or tube pre to run dual cab setup with dual slave amps.

Everyone was blown away at NAMM with the first proto-types of the slave amp and the Focus. I think Rick has really found a great market with everyone wanting power in a light weight package. Heres a photo of te slave amp from NAMM with the True Voice Tube pre on top.

[​IMG]

7. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    Acoustic Image is coming out with a Focus-based power amp?!! Very cool--very cool indeed. Sign me up

When is this supposed to come out?

8. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Brian,
    What kind of input is the Focus SA designed to accept? Can it be driven by and onboard pre? I'm assuming a stompbox pre such as the Sansamp would work with it, correct?

9. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Its available with a 2 week ship.

Yes it is able to be driven direct with a bass onboard pre or an outboard.

I talked to Rick at NAMM about an input level control because right now it only has an output and some outboard pre's might be a little hot for it and not allow you to really turn the output volume up much........... he might just adjust the input 1/4 a little lower, but it will still be easy to drive with a bass or outboard stomp box like the Crest amps input.... nice medium, not to low and not to high.

10. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Is that slave going to be 110/240 as well? What will it produce at 8 ohms?

11. I have the AI Focus amp, and have been considering Flite cabs. Unfortunetly, they have not replied to my email. The Focus is a loud 600 watts. I'd like some ultra light cabs, and Flite seems to fit my needs. For now, I'm using SWR pro series cabs. These sound great with the Focus, and really cut through the mix.

12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Good news about Flite is they are super light.

Not so good news is they don't sound as good as the "premium" cabs out there. If you're using Glock cabs now my guess is you are not going to be happy with Flite cabs.

13. thats one of my concerns about it. i'd hate to get the rig and feel that i've downgraded on sound....

browsing through the forums earlier i came across the schroeder cabs page (after seeing brians pic), if the rave reviews are justified, then it makes the 1212 sound very tempting. and it turns out i can get an EA iamp500 head and a 1212 for a bit less than the AI/flite setup.

how does this setup seem, would this tiny cab be able to handle the louder gigs? the glock struggled on a couple of very loud outdoor gigs, so i guess i'm a bit sceptical that a 2x12 in such a tiny box will do as well. but then i guess if it isn't, i could just add a 1012 in a little while

veiws?

Tom

14. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Loud + Outdoors = use large cabinet(s)

I'd rather own a moderate sized box that handles 99% of my gigs but struggles on 1 outdoor gig a year than own a refrigerator that handles that one show but have to lug it around all year.

15. sorry, i didn't really describe that well.

the glock is a 2x12, and i did find a couple of occasions where it struggled. granted, they were outdoor and big, but i haven't done a great deal of v.large indoor gigs (but thats one of the things i will be doing more frequently this year) so i don't have experience of how it would cope there.

what i'm trying to say is, i guess i just need to be convinced that a smaller box wont necceserally (sp?) mean smaller sound...

Tom