Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AI Clarus + Aguilar cabinet for jazz?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DaveBeny, Jul 20, 2004.

1. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Hi everyone,
    Has anyone out there any experience of using a Clarus 1 with the smaller Aguilar cabinets?

I'm looking to get out of the bedroom and into playing some jazz in the future, and such a setup looks to be good quality for a fair price. I play 4-string bass guitar and just want a clear warm sound and simple controls.

From what I understand, the Clarus will provide 200 watts of power into a cab (at 4 ohms). Would this give me enough volume to cut it in a typical acoustic quartet/quintet?

The most affordable 4ohm Aguilar cab looks to be the GS210. Could the Clarus work with a GS112 cabinet (which is 8ohms)?

Thanks in advance,
    DB

2. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Hi David,

I have not used it on a gig, but I did try out the Clarus 1 with my 2 GS112 cabs in store. The Clarus is a very "transparent" and flat sounding amp, but frankly is underpowered at 300 watts for 2 GS112s. A single GS112 at 8 ohms would be far too lacking in headroom IMO. There is the new Focus amp that is double the watts at 600 into a 4 ohm load. I haven't tried it, but it is almost double the cost of the Clarus at about $1100.

I would highly recommend the new Aguilar AG500 for use with any of the Aguilar cabs if you're willing to spend the 1100. The AI stuff is great for URB, whereas the Aggie stuff really adds the right kind of "color" that IMO electric basses really need. Fat and tubey, even though the AG500 is all solid state. It's also a footswitchable two channel amp with a very cool distortion channel. Not what a jazzer is looking for, but the clean channel is. The AG500 is due out in the next few weeks, and is going to be worth the wait. Also worth looking into, if you're looking for a great 210 cab, available in 4 or 8 ohms, is the new Aguilar S series cab. It's rear ported instead of front ported, so is a bit lighter and smaller than the GS210, and $150 cheaper at $400! Sounds every bit as good. I just played through the AG500/S410 cab rig last Thursday, and it is the bomb! :D

3. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    You can consider using the Clarus with the EA Wizzy cabinet, its light, powerfull and its rated at 4 hms, which will give you the chance of extract 200 w from the clarus, i bet this would be a sweet rig, i use my Wizzy with an EA iamp 500 and couldnt be happier
    good luck

NUNO

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea, for jazz it should be fine. but for louder apps, not to sure. then again, Pete McFerrin used his Clarus with a pair of GS112's, and said it was MORE than enough loud for him. *shrug*

SPAM: i'm selling my Clarus, if you're interested. ;)

5. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Thanks for the replies so far.

Craig: I'm not expecting to be in a position to purchase until the end of the summer. Hopefully the Aguilar AG500 and AI Focus will have made it to the UK by then, so I will be sure to look out for them. I expect that pricewise, they will be at the very upper limit of my budget.

Joker: Thanks for the offer, but I'm too far away (Britain) for it to be worthwhile.

6. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    Hey Dave, sorry because its not my business, but if you are really ineterested in a clarus, i would consider joker's offer, the clarus is so small and light that you wont pay much for shipping, and you can always ask to the seller to put a low price on the package for the customs....
    i bought my iamp 500 and wizzy from Bob G.... in england would have costed me almost the double
    just a thought

NUNO

7. David

I have a clarus that I brought 2nd Hand from Overwater Bass Emporium. I happened to phone up and they had one in £350 I think.

I think the Focus will be brilliant but too much for me at the moment. over £1000 I understand.

I use an Epifani 1x10 UL and an Accugroove Tri112L. an expensive but very good set up so I think that an Clarus or Focus with 1 or 2 cabs would do the job for most situations especially acoustic/jazz setting. I also have a Sansamp stomp box for the missing grunt and distortion when playing fretted.

Hope your search goes well.

Regards

Matthew

8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Craig, where did you get your hands on an AG500????

9. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    I took a lesson from Gary Willis and attended his clinic at G Guitars in New Haven CT last Thursday. Aguilar was co-sponsor for Gary's clinic, so they brought in an AG500 and an S210 and S410 cab. I played through the AG500 for my lesson. It will probably be another 2-3 weeks at the earliest before the AG500s will start to ship. Lots of pre-orders already, I understand. The first one to arrive at G Guitars is mine! :D

10. Aguilar/Dave B.

Aguilar/Dave B. Aguilar Amplification Commercial User

Nov 8, 2003
    New York City
    President: Aguilar Amplification
    Hey Craig and everybody:

I have posted entirely to many times today. But.....actually we have some AG 500's ready to ship now. Because we are travelling tomorrow and thursday, we will start ship them a week from today when we get back to NYC. It will take a minute to get caught up on the pre-orders (well, back-orders); but they are starting to ship in a few days. Craig....
    I promise not to make you wait 3 weeks as punishment! :)

P.S. Tomorrow(wed.) we are doing a Gary Willis clinic at Guitar Center in NYC, with Ibanez and D'addario. Should be fun. Hope to see some TBer's.

11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Well, unfortunately (sort of....) I didn't know when it was coming out and I just ordered a Glockenklang Soul amp instead. I do look forward to trying out the AG500 though.

12. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    I highly recommend the AI Focus for electric. It does an amazing job. Also the Clarus with the Wizzy cab would work well also.

13. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    :hyper:
    :bassist:
    :D

Thanks DB!

NYC TBers...don't pass up the opportunity to check out Gary Willis at GC today. I guarantee lots of amazing playing (he'll invariably ask "should I just shut up and play?") and lots of thoughtful insight into all things bass...especially soloing.

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The Aguilar gear is very rarely-seen and very expensive in the UK - but then so is most good bass amplification. I remember trying to buy gear for Jazz, I was dissatisfied with most of the stuff in local shops - so they were either too noisy or not powerful enough to give undistorted clean sound, or just didn't sound that good - obviously aimed at Rock rather than Jazz.

Your cheapest bet in the UK is probably one of the GK 150 watt combos - especially if you get a good deal or a used one!! :)
    Other than that - EA stuff is excellent - although pricey - and I've seen many UK Jazzers using them...!

I've heard Laurence Cottle playing through a single EAVL208/iAmp and getting a great sound in a Jazz quartet - I'ev also heard him using EBS.

15. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Bruce, the Aguilar cabinets seem to be reasonably priced for what they are (pro-spec US equipment) when compared to the other US brands that the Bass Gallery carries. I thought of Aguilar cabinets for three reasons: quality, attractive price and the good comments here on TB.

I will try to check out a GK combo when the time comes to buy.

One thing that has attracted me to the Acoustic Image/EA brands in that they're both offered by Overwater and interest-free credit is available, which is a bonus for me (have low cash reserves, but will have a good regular income starting soon). The size/weight of these brands is also a plus.

If I can find a used Clarus or iAMP for a good price (can't believe Matthew got one for £350 :eek: ), I would certainly consider the used route.

16. Bruce Lindfield

I've heard good comments about the amps - but then they should be good at over £2,000 for the ones I've seen!! :eek:

Haven't heard such good things about the cabs - in fact, if I remember correctly, they scored badly in BP shootouts...? :meh:

17. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Oh contrare...mon frere. :D

http://www.aguilaramp.com/html/press/reviews.html

There are four reviews from BP here, the GS115, GS112 and GS412, and the DB750 amp.

Also keep in mind the "S" series cabs are coming very shortly. $640 US for the S410 and $399 US for the S210! They shouldn't be drastically more in the UK.

David, why not enquire with Overwater as to the possibility of them carrying the Aguilar gear?

18. Bruce Lindfield

Oh right - not bad reviews as such, I guess I must have thought when I was reading, that "big and fat" was not what I wanted for what I was doing - but rather "clear and transparent".

It was just my reading....;)

But given the Gallery price of £359 for a GS112 - that does look a good buy for what David wants! :)

19. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    When I'm in the position to buy Bruce, you'll have to come to the Bass Gallery to lend me your seasoned jazzer's ear! ;)