1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AI Clarus - blown fuse on power amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MKS, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Hi there.

I set up for practice last night (AI Clarus into Epifani UL110) and discovered that there was NO SIGNAL. Bah! FAIL! There seemed to be a tiny amount of signal getting through, but certainly not workable. I tested the head separately later and the DI output seems to be working OK - it returns a clean signal and applies the EQ as normal so I'm guessing it must have something to do with the poweramp section. I tested the amp outputs with both Speakon to Speakon and Speakon to jack into the UL and I tried both Speakon outputs - no signal. The speaker seems to be OK tested separately so I don't think that's the issue.

Any clues?

EDIT: Since we now suspect simply a blown fuse rather than anything more sinister I'm changing the title of the thread. I don't want to give the impression that Acoustic Image amps are suspect or liable to fail in any way. I've had the amp 3 years with excellent results and this is the first problem I've had.

2. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Also, try running your instrument into the effects return. This is basically bypassing the preamp. This would let you know if it's the pre, the input, or something else on the front end.

If you've pretty much used different cables and instruments and made sure that the cables and instruments are known good and have isolated it to the input of the amp, then it may be worth a call to AI.

They're very responsive and easy to deal with. I had a Focus 2 that I bought used and called to ask a few questions. I wasn't rushed or told to go look for a user's manual. Give them a shout if you've nailed it down to the input on the unit.

3. If this was an original Clarus, the power sections could fail if you turned on the amp and then plugged in the speaker cable. I believe AI fixes that issue for free, and they have a quick turnaround time. Great company! Of course, you will have to ship internationally, so I guess it will take a while, but if this is the issue (i.e., turning the amp on and then plugging in the speaker), it will come back better than new.

4. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    AI is a great company and has always been very responsive when I've had questions, so I'm sure they'll take care of you. Good luck!

5. I've just received an email from Rick Jones at AI (quick response BTW and from the main man himself!). He suggests a blown fuse on the power amp section. I hope it's that simple...

6. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Yeah, that would be cool. Rick's straight up.

7. It's clear that the fuse has blown. I'll replace it and see how we get on.

ACE service from Acoustic Image and Rick Jones. Love the amp, love the service... :D