1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

AI Clarus S4plus effects loop problem

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by threetone, May 12, 2016.

1. threetone

threetone

Sep 27, 2011
    Europe
    I can't seem to get the effects loop to work the way i want it to.

A project requires me to use a delay effect with my upright.
    Full circle -> AI Clarus -> RE bass 12.

I connect the send jack to the delay pedal input, the return jack to the delay pedal output.

With the delay engaged, i get my a signal + delay through the speaker, when i turn off the delay, i get no signal anymore, silence.

Is this the normal behaviour of the effects loop? I thought that i could just insert the delay, keep my signal chain from piezo to preamp as clean as possible and be done with it.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

2. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    Call Rick at AI.

3. Harry Monkley

Harry Monkley

Jan 16, 2016
    Sounds like the problem might be the delay pedal rather than your amp if switching the pedal on/off is what causes the signal to disappear.

Does the same signal loss occur if you run the signal chain as pickup->delay pedal->amp?

Does the pedal have controls for mixing the wet/dry signals and are they causing the pedal to mute the dry signal?

DoubleMIDI likes this.
  4. threetone

threetone

Sep 27, 2011
    Europe
    Mix controls are present, but there are set correct.
    If i run the delay, or any other pedal, in line , pickup -> pedal -> preamp input, they work as normal.

Could this be a line level / instrument level issue ?

5. Harry Monkley

Harry Monkley

Jan 16, 2016
    Have you tried running the signal pickup->pedal->effects return?

I might well be wrong, but if the pedal functions correctly in the effects loop when it is activated, then it would be a reasonable assumption that it isn't a level issue.

Could the pedal be inverting the phase of the signal passing through it by 180 degrees resulting in perfect phase cancellation between the signal running through the amp and the parallel dry signal through the effects loop?
    You could try connecting the pedal in the loop, and with it off (how it currectly results in no sound) reduce the level control for the effects loop to zero - does the sound then return?

6. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Hey threetone. I'm figuring by now a bunch of people must have told you to simply call Acoustic Image and ask Rick the question. Best customer service you can get, so take advantage of it. We all have opinions but this is one time it would be easier to ask Rick.

threetone likes this.