Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AI clarus with a GK 1x12cab?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Wesley, Apr 9, 2002.

1. Wesley

Wesley

Sep 17, 2001
    Canada
    I'm looking for a portable cabinet for the clarus as I will have to take my bass and amp on public transport frequently. I'm wondering if anyone has tried the clarus with a GK single 12 extension speaker. They have one on sale second hand at a local store, but I can't try it out because I don't have a AI clarus yet (they're hard to come by where I live). I've tried the clarus through a raezers edge 2x8 and it sounded good to me, but I don't want to buy the clarus unless I know I can find a portable cab that sounds descent with it. If I can't find a portable cab I might consider a GK MB150 instead. Any thoughts on the GK cab or any of the other light wieght cabs would be appreciated. (I use a realist on a plywood bass)

Thanks for your help,

Wes

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    The Clarus kills the GK for DB-friendly tone. I've used mine through a variety of cabinets, and it always performs well. Each cab will give the sound a different color, but you can't go wrong with the Clarus. Until I got my Euphonic Audio, CXL 112, I always preferred smaller (8" or 10" speakers) with the clarus...now i mix and match according to how much coverage I need on the gig. Since the amp is basically the size of a camera, you get great versatility with it if you have several cabs at your disposal.

3. Wesley

Wesley

Sep 17, 2001
    Canada
    I just had another thought. There seems to be a consensus that the clarus head is cleaner and more natural sounding than a GK head. Can I then assume that the clarus head plaeyed through a GK cab (the same one as in the MB150) would still be cleaner than the GK combo? Or is there more to the matching of a head to a cab that complicates this equation?

Wes

4. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    When going with the Clarus head I would try to match it with a neutral/efficient cab. That way you really maximize what the amp does. I've been using my Clarus with an Acme B1 (4ohm version) and it sounds really nice with both upright and elec, but it is for small venues only unless you get two cabs. I'd be curious about how the Clarus sounds with the CXL 112 which is much more efficient than the VL series although the Clarus could probably only deliver 120 watts at 8 ohms. If anyone has experience with this setup I'd love to know. I don't know much about the GK cabs.

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I played with the Clarus and a CXL 112 tonight on a loud gig, and it sounded great. The amp is definitely not a match for the speaker powerwise @ 8 ohms, so I used a 1x8" cab as a monitor and sat behind the EA cab. Nothing but compliments on the tone, and this is a LOUD gig in a LOUD room. I've ordered and EA iamp 750 head to go with the cab for more headroom, but have no complaints about the Clarus in the meantime.