Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AI Contra and Realist with SansAmp Acoustic DA

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Wolftone, Jul 19, 2002.

1. Using the SansAmp Acoustic DI with the Contra and Realist combination seems to help get rid of a lot of the muddiness that you can't eliminate just by tweaking the eq on the Contra. I roll off a lot of the mid range (sweepable on the SansAmp), a little of the bass, then turn up the tube emulation to full....

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Errmm I 'm not sure what this posts about or why - but I just had to say that there is a UK Double Bass player called Simon Woolf and he has a group called the Woolf Tones or at least there was an album of that name!

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Bruce, Mr. Tone's thread refers to the problems with muddy sound that most of us who use the Contra/Realist combination have to deal with. It was discussed in another thread awhile back. I've gotten around the problem by using an Underwood along with the Realist, but I'm always open to other, more elegant suggestions.

4. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    It's a common problem; while the Realist can deliver a very nice tone character on a carved bass, detail is not something so forthcoming-- it's just a matter of location - location - location. I've sold a number of Realist owners a K&K Bass Max and Two Channel Preamp, or the K&K Double Big Twin and Two Channel Preamp, so they can blend the two to complementary effect when necessary. I'm sure you are not the only player who has added an Underwood, Fishman, or other more detailed transducer to enhance the clarity of their bass, especially when higher volumes are involved. Every pickup is a compromise in one way or the other, depending on a player's taste and requirements.