1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AI Contra Series I vs. 1x10 (Schroeder?)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LBass, Oct 2, 2008.

1. LBass

LBass

Sep 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I have been doing small gigs on an Acoustic Image Contra Series I for, but now that I have a markbass head for my bigger rigs (F1 amp) I have been thinking about switching things up.

The AI Contra Series I is probably 30lbs, but it does the job. How do you all think any of the super light 10 inch speaker cabs (EA, Schroeder, Genz, etc) with the Markbass F1 will compre to the AI series I? I will be using this rig for rehearsals, upright and small resturant gigs.

If I sell the AI I can probably get one of these for only a little bit more. I would double my watts and probably shave 10+ lbs off my rigg's weight, but have a lot less speaker surface area.

Any thoughts? Does anyone have experiences with both the AI Contra Series I and some of the light 10inch cabs?

THANKS!

2. fretster

fretster Advanced Beginner Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2005
    Moraga, California
    I had an Acoustic Image New Yorker for a while. It was a lower end model of the Contra, less power but same principal. It was great for Upright Bass and my Ergo EUB, but not really great for Electric Bass. It's gone now.

I've moved on, and my lightweight rig is now the EA MIcro 300 and the EA Wizzy 110. The Head weighs less than 3lbs, and the cab weighs 17. Playing solo, the sound is weak on low bass compared to other rigs. Stands to reason given the small size. In the mix, though, the sound is great. I even have to roll off the bass EQ sometimes to reduce boominess.

I would say the EA Wizzy 110 and EA head gives a brighter sound than the AI, but both are detailed and crisp.