Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AI Focus 1 or ??? w/ my Berg HT/EX?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hrothgar, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Hrothgar

Hrothgar Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    Seattle
    Today's the day! Either I order an Acoustic Image Focus 1R or something else to go with my Berg mini stack and Mike Lull Vintage 4. I was also looking at the EA iAmp800. I'm not exactly sure what to get. My main issues are the usual: portability, tone, power.

Are there any combinations of amp to Berg's I should avoid, or should look at?

I play a lot of different kinds of music: jazz, fusion, funk, classical, metal, rock, etc.; and need something that can cover everything pretty well (well, not necessarily the metal). i just sold everything in my rack, plus the rack itself, so I've got a budget of about $1450 to work with (which means no WWU :crying: ) Thanks for any help you can offer.

2. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    At least, that's what I've got coming for my HT/EX stack. The Clarus and the HT/EX is so nice that the Focus should be devastating! Portability not too shabby either.

3. Well I've got the WWU and I like it a lot. I've been told that the iAmp800 is also a great choice. I've heard other Berg Mini Stack owners/ravers use the Thunderfunk, and the Crest CA9 with various preamps. I've been told by several others that the Focus would be excellent. I would love to try one some time. Also the reverb addition on the Focus is supposed to be well worth it I'm told. Good luck!

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I haven't tried the Clarus or Focus with my HT/EX stack, though I have tried the iAMP 800, and it sounded very good. However, I must admit that they sounded even better with my WWU (which is somewhat noteworthy, as most cabs sound equally good - but different - with either the iAMP 800 or the WWU, but the Bergies definitely prefer the WWU, for some reason).

5. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    I tried the HT/EX stack with the Clarus and LOVED it. It was easily my favorite small rig at BassNW. The Focus should be even better because of headroom - 200w vs. 600w. Good luck.

Tom H.

6. Hrothgar

Hrothgar Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    Seattle
    Funny you should mention Bass NW. I was just there last Saturday trying out that same rig. It sounded just plain amazing with the Sadowsky Metro MV4 in black they had (black sounds better :D ).

Thanks a lot for the posts guys. I've been following this forum for quite some time, though I rarely post. I went ahead and ordered the Focus 1R. I'll get back to you in a couple weeks with an initial review of the little monster stack.

7. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Just a quick correction....
    The Focus has 350 watts @ 8ohm, and 600 @ 4ohm

8. Eden WT 400 or 550: portability, tone and power.

9. Hrothgar

Hrothgar Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    Seattle
    You're the second person I've heard say that. Where did you hear that? On their site it says only 300 watts @ 8ohm.

10. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com

The owner's manual states that it is 350 at 8 and 600 at 4ohm.

The AI Focus is an amzing unit, you can't go wrong with it!

11. Hrothgar

Hrothgar Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    Seattle
    350 @ 8ohm sounds better to me! Can't wait to get it! :hyper:

12. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I read it in the owners manual, and later confirmed
    by Rick at Acoustic Image. Its not really the wattage
    that's so important, as much as the headroom.

13. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    The Focus is the perfect amp for what you want, and you can afford it with your budget. I play all kinds of music with it, and it sounds as good with a fine string bass as it does with a variety of bass guitars. The weight at 4-1/2 pounds and small size--it will fit in a pocket in your gig bag if you don't use the padded case that comes with it--will blow your mind. I used mine with an HT112 and it sounded great, although I sold that cabinet and find that I like a single Schroeder 1212 as my cabinet of choice these days. For lower volume gigs, I've also used the Focus with a single Acme B-1 with great success, particularly on string bass.

14. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I went with an Avalon U5 and QSC PLX 1202 for my Bergie HT112. Not quite as small and portable as a Focus, but it sure sounds sweet.

15. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Eden WT-550 with my HT/EX ministack. It sounds great, especially with my Rumblefish! :)

16. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    16 lbs of Thunderfunk in a bag with my HT/EX stack.

17. I've been using now the Focus 1R for over 3 months on numerous live gigs and rehearsals; awesome amp, reliable, simple and logical eq. section, and it weighs only 4 lbs. :)

18. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Hey 'the dude'--I notice your profile says you've got an iAmp 800 as well as the Thunderfunk. How would you compare the sound of the two heads through the Bergs, and what basses/styles of music are you playing?

19. Hrothgar

Hrothgar Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    Seattle
    All these comments make me feel really good about getting one of these, but coming from you it means even more! I've been looking at your cabs for a while now, and if I decide to go the one speaker route it will be your 1210. take care!

20. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    First, I've only had this gear for a short time. Initial impressions? The TFunk has a somewhat more "aggressive" tone (although without distortion) while the iAmp *to my ears* sounds like the perfect amp for DB and Jazz - although lots of people here use it for blues, rock, etc.

For my sound (whatever that is) I really like the TFunk. I'm still listening to the iAmp, but am mostly of the opinion that whlie it's a great amp with a lot of tonal flexibility - it's probably not my sound.

My basses are vintage Fender Precisions. As far as style, I like to play stuff by all the listed players in my profile - or originals in any of those veins.

As the Focus has been described as "warm" - and has decent headroom, I'm eager to check one out.