Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AI focus, focus SA questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PB+J, Jun 7, 2005.

1. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    I'm looking for a power amp to use with an avalon U5. I do electric and upright gigs and use the avalon for both. I'm thinking about picking up a Focus SA and I wondered:

1. is it a legit 600 watts, or is there a lot of "stretching" in that figure?
    2. Is it reliable?
    3. How's the sound?

Also, I'm thinking about the Focus itself--could I bypass its eq stack and use the avalon as the preamp with the focus?

Thanks for any info anyone might have

2. I have one of the first AI slave amps and 600 Watts are an understatement. I am using a True Voice preamp with this unit through a 410 for mid size and even outdoor events, and it can get darn loud.
    I don't know if Rick made any modifications within the past 5 months; you should contact him, he is very helpful.

3. rabass6

rabass6 Commercial User

Jun 3, 2004
    Italy
    Owner, Groovemania.it
    and you can use the Focus bypassing the preamp, if you use the effects return.
    The power is all here, in fact my Focus overpower a Qsc 1202, 1200W of class AB power...
    Soundwise, the low end is full and deep, you hear the character of the instrument you're using without missing anything...

4. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Fender, Source Audio & Fishman
    I have a Focus SA and it is really loud at a 4 ohmn load. I have been using mine through a Berg HT/EX 112 combo with various preamps in front of it (Usually a Sans amp set to line out for the 1/4 out and my Sadowsky). I'm usually the loudest guy on stage and that is with the Focus SA set around 10 o'clock. I borrowed a friends U5 and it sounded great through the rig. That was with my Lakland USA Hollowbody.

5. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    It seems to have all of 600 watts to me and has been reliable for the few months I've had it. The only reason chose the SA of the regular Focus is that the SA fits in my bass bag where as the Focus 1 is just slightly to big. I do like running directly into the front of the SA from my active Lakland 55-02. It gives a nice clear and warm sound.

6. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Fender, Source Audio & Fishman
    I do the same and run straight in on my Focus SA with my Sadowsky on gigs where I don't need a DI. Sometimes I use the Sans Amp as a line driver with out any effect. For Upright I use a Solstice or Fishman Pro EQ platinum. They all sound great. I'm looking for a light Tube Pre to use in front of the Focus SA.