AI focus for electric bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by B String, Sep 27, 2004.

1. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Anymore reviews on the Focus. Still haven't seen that
    many guys with opinions on using the Focus for electric
    bass. Things like headroom, thick, or punchy lowend, etc.
  2. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    B, I got this email from Ed Friedland. He's recently switched from the Clarus to the Focus. Ed's a real great player who doesn't get as much recognition for his PLAYING as he should...anyway, hereitis...

From Ed:

I just got the new Focus 2, and two gigs later I have to say it's a big improvement. More power, and more clarity. I haven't played upright through it yet, but I will tomorrow. I'm using it with the Bergies, and while it has much better headroom than the Clarus, it is still possible to push it too hard. Jim Bergantino has told me "there's no free lunch" when it comes to power. He still suggests a big heavy power source like an Ashdown or Crown. Given that I prefer the 4 1/2 lbs of the AI, I think I can live with it.

(And later...)

After doing an upright gig on the Focus, I'll say that the low end was more "focussed" and full. The extra power does help get those frequencies across. The high end was about the same, which is to say, very nice. After a few electric gigs, I'd say that the amp is great, especially if you like the Clarus already, you'll be happier with the additional power.

I'm sure Ed would oblige more questions, he answers email quick. I'm sold on one...but I just bought my wife a Cartier ring for her b-day, so I'm set back a *little* bit. Hopefully within the month. It sounds like the Focus has the same great sound as the Clarus with a bigger, tighter low end because of the added headroom.

3. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Hey, fancy meeting you here. One of the interesting
    things about Talkbass, is that the opinions come from
    many different types of ears and musical experiences.
    When we get all these opinions, we need to filter them
    to fit our individual needs. A piece of gear that works
    well for an r&b and jazz player, may not work the same
    for a metal player. I should find out from Ed, what kind
    of gig he was playing that 600 watts into a pair of 1x12
    boxes was almost pushing it too hard. That may deal with
    a lack of headroom issue. Thanks Wilbyman
  4. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    mine sounds good, tastes good.

usin' it mostly for my trip hop group, and while i'm not competing with anyone perse, sounds tremendous with my Acme B-1's. they can only handle 175 watts each, so 600 watts into both, really makes use of 'em. :cool: