1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

AI Focus or iAmp 800?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CLJMB, Mar 31, 2006.

1. CLJMB

CLJMB Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2005
    North Alabama
    A Roscoe LG3005 into a Scroeder 1210. Softer jazz gig with piano player. Would you use an AI Focus or an EA iAmp 800 and why?

2. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    For portability, the Focus. For pure tone, the iAmp.

I just find it easier to get a good electric bass sound on the iAmp. I can get good double bass sounds on either. I have a Clarus SL, and am seriously considering an iAmp to go with it (I just borrowed and gigged with an iAmp 500, which was the basis for my opinions above).

Good luck,
    Liam

3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    The iAmp will give a lot more tone shaping options over the Focus -- which might come in really handy with the bass and cab combination you have -- not to mention a monster low end.

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Agreed. I owned both, and recently sold the iAmp because I quit playing BG. If the signal you're putting into the amp doesn't need much changing, it really doesn't matter. If you need to change it, you'll want more flexible EQ.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    fritz, say it aint so! :eek:

but yea, i'd play it safe and go w/ the iAMP, too.

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    It's so, but it's not a bad thing. It's just that the big girl is a jealous mistress, and it seemed a shame to let that beautiful BSR6P gather dust while watching me always choose and dance with my true love. :)

Besides - and no offense intended, but - what could possibly be sexier than this gorgeous lady? How could I dance with another? :D

Attached Files:

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    dood,

you totally sold a BSR6P to someone other than me?

dood...

8. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

To my ear, I don't particularly like my Focus with the 1210... especially at low volumes. The sound loses the articulation and punch that you get with that combination at higher volumes. I've had great luck with a Thunderfunk and 1210 for lower volume jazz gigs... lot's of mid articulation and a tighter, less open low end and more lower mid punch that IMO is optimal for that type of setting. I would think the iAmp would do well also. The Schroeder is so efficient, and being a 4ohm cab, you could probably save some money, size and weight by choosing the iAmp500 vs. the 800...

9. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I think a 1210 would sound like "a bull in a china shop" playing in a piano duo kind of setting. It just isn't voiced for that...though I'm sure it would work okay, it isn't the optimal choice.

For small/very low-volume stuff (piano duo), I'm convinced that a small box is less intrusive/more appropriate than a bigger one. The Roscoe itself puts out a massive low end signal anyway. I have had alot of success with the Epi UL110...the Bergie HT112 and Acme B1 are probably also great choices. If you needed more volume/projection (with drummer and significantly bigger room) than you're in the UL112/Schro 1210 range.

W

10. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1... I would also choose another cab for that setting... however, it's even worse with the Focus... primarily due to the lack of EQ that the 1210 needs for that kind of setting at that low volume (an amp like the TF and the 1210 works pretty well though... as long as you can tame the low end an dial in the articulation that's needed). I'm a 'small Berg cab' fan for that kind of gig and volume.

11. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I agree Ken...the Focus doesn't have the sound shaping ability to dial out the low end bloom.

Toss in the big Roscoe low end and that piano player's pants would be flapping.

12. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Sinner! :scowl:

Would it bother you to know that she's about 6'6", demands and rewards a strong touch, and if you're not careful, leaves you feeling exhausted and sore at the end of the night? Or would that just make it worse? :D

Can't speak for the Roscoe or the Schro, but regarding the Focus: I mostly agree about the limitations of the EQ, except when it comes to the bottom end. The high pass filter is an absolute lifesaver once you figure out how it's voiced. I think it about doubles the effectiveness of the EQ section.

I'da been happy to have you date my ex - she was a great gal...you just didn't call her before another suitor appeared!:help:

13. CLJMB

CLJMB Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2005
    North Alabama
    OK, I've decided on using a Focus Series II with a different cab. Considering a 4 ohm Acme Low B-2. Anyone have experience with that amp/cab combination?

14. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

For the application you are talking about.... WONDERFUL!

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    + one meelion.