Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AI Focus SA

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DubDubs, Feb 14, 2005.

1. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    It looks like it was released recently and WOW! 3.5lbs is awesome. Has anyone tried one yet. They look pretty great and I'm thinking of trying to save up for one. The only disadvantage I can see is that it's not rackmountable (maybe with some homemade rack ears and removal of the feet) and the input's on the front.
    Link

Just wanted you're thoughts.

2. rabass6

rabass6 Commercial User

Jun 3, 2004
    Italy
    Owner, Groovemania.it
    I think the rack case will weight more than the amp!
    This is a little beast that you can bring with you everywhere!

3. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    Bob Gollihur has them for $999. This is no knock on Bob, who has always been great to deal with and has excellent prices. But as long as we're sitting around the digital cracker barrel chatting, I'd say it seems a little high

Maybe I'm being unreasonable--Am I wrong? 600 watts at 3.5 lbs is incredible, and if it's reliable it'd be a great rig. But the full focus, with the 2 channel preamp, is only 270 more--it'd be tempting to just get that instead. Also I got a used stewart world 600--600 watts, ten pounds--for $250. That's around 100 bucks a pound difference. Now if the focus was more like, say, 6-700...

4. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Acoustic Image has a MAP pricing policy- dealers don't set the prices, they do. I can sell it for any price but no lower than $999, so I sell it for the lowest price allowed and ship it free.

technically i'm allowing this price quote as PB+J already quoted the price, and Bob is clarifying the pricing policies of the manufacturer. normally price quotes in a thread are no-go, but i think this is an exception. - ivanmike :)

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well,

considering the competition, which there seems to be only one i.e. WW, its fair market price. given that there are only two major manufacturers doing this design, AI and WW can set whatever price they wish.

course, i'm still gas'ed for one. ;)

6. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I've had it for a few days now. Its a sweet little amp. I used it on a loudish pop gig last night and it does seem to have all of 600 watts. I'm using it with the Sansamp Acoustic DI and the two units work well together. The Focus SA's input is instrument level and it actually sounds really nice with no preamp at all. I played a rehearsal with a passive P bass plugged straight into the Focus and the tone was pretty sweet although the bass's output wasn't high enough to drive the focus to full output. With a nice active onboard pre it would be a nice loud ultra portable rig.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    wow, awesome basss

i'm officially GAS'ed...

uh, bob? ;)

8. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Its quite amazing little unit. You can pair it with the Focus for two 600 watt 4 ohm power amp sections or use one or two of the SA's with another preamp section....

9. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I'd love one of these does it run at 2ohms?

Brian could one of your low end pre amps be shipped to the UK I noticed that the powerline is contantly connected therefore I figured it wasn't dual voltage.

Could it be made to be dual voltage?

10. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Like all other AI stuff, it is dual voltage. There is a switch on the back, and the mains connector is the usual type such is as used on other power amps and most PCs.

It is not rated at 2 ohms, however, Rick Jones says: while it isn’t rated at 2 ohms, it will handle the load in most cases, as long as the volume isn’t cranked to extreme levels. Give it a try. If the amp isn’t up to the task, an internal protection device will shut things down momentarily… however you won’t do any harm.

11. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Sorry I was asking about the Low End Pre if that was dual voltage.

But thanks for the info, I'm very interested in these amps

12. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Yes, I do build them for 220. Actually got one being built for Spain in the batch right now. Sorry the Picture had to be pulled of the AI Slave amp with the True-Voice on top, but it seems I got complaints for posting the Picture........

Thanks and didn't mean to break the rules. I thought I was posting in reguards to the AI Slave amp.........

unfortunately you're not supposed to promote a product you sell unless it's specifically asked about. i hated ot pull it, but if make exceptions for one..................... :rolleyes: :)ivanmike

13. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I guess if you put a Focus together with a Focus SA, you get something like a WW Ultra powerwise, for something like the same money. You're right, there's really no one else doing this.

14. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    I think this amp and then a decent accugroove speaker (not that there are bad ones) like a whappo grande, you know a full range stand alone medium to big gig rig would be amazing and then just mix and match pres, I'd use my john east zing pre for most things and then this for when a hifi tone is required

[​IMG]

Also pair this with the above setups mentioned and get a bass pod xt and you'd probably have the most useful rig ever, except maybe for the weight of the cab, hmmm maybe two tri12's would be better :D ;) :D

15. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Meh forget the PODxt like I just mentioned, how are the dimensions of the AI to say an Avalon U5 would they sit quite nicely on top of each other???????

16. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001

The Avalon is a little long. You might be able to turn the SA sideways and the Avalon might fit on it, but it will be the feet, the avalon unit will hang over the sides.

But the Avalon would work great.

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well,

after stopping by (ALL HAIL) BoobyG's "ranch" yesterday ;) , got a chance to pick up a nice SA, and WOAH MOMMA, terrific power amp!

IMHO, this is the future.

i'll try and get a pic, but i have mine all rigged up alongside my Alembic F-1X in my SKB 10" deep, 2U, X-Rack. about as light as most hi-end 500 watt amps, and yet lots of great power.

18. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Is there any difference between the SA, and just putting a
    preamp in the effects return on a Focus?

19. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Someone must have the answer. You guys have much
    knowledge.

20. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001

Yea, but its a downer when other dealers/manufactures are complaining to Mods about every post you make even when it is to answer questions...... like its not hard to figure out whose bitching.... :rolleyes:

There is no different in the power amp sections, they are the same. You might notice a little difference in the front in gain section... the SA is a little more sensitive.

hope that helps,