Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AI Focus w/ Schroeder 1210?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JahKnow, Oct 2, 2004.

1. JahKnow

JahKnow Guest

OK, I read the mega thread, and the mini-mega thread, but I'm looking for comments on this specific set up. Jorg emailed that this is his main set up (thanks for the quick response, Jorg!). Any one else using this set up?
    I am currently using an EA IAmp combo w/ 110ext. cab. I like it a lot, but I don't LOVE it. I'm looking for simpler, more portable, and more UMPH!
    I play in a small jazz duo (bass and vocals), a Rock/Pop band (Smithereens to Squeeze), and a Scoffield type trio ( Funky UberJazz).
    My bass is a fretless Kubicki X-Factor, and I run a Punch Factory (Aphex) comp into a TubePre (PreSonus) mic pre, before my amp.
    Most gigs are 100-200 person venues w/out FOH, and everything else has FOH.
    Thanks in advance for your help and insightful comments.

2. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    The Focus is awesome and being a 4 ohm 600 watt head the Schroeder 1210 is really a perfect cab for it. Its a 12 & a 10 your moving and its a 4 ohm cab which pulls the full 600 watts out of the amp.

The Focus is very clear and clean and I love the reverb AI offers on the unit.

I've sold this little setup to a few guys now and they all love it dearly!

3. Brian

Can you clarify for a thick person like myself. With the AI it has 2 speaker outs. Will you get 600 watts per side with 2 x 8 ohm cabs or will it be 300 per side. Alternatively with 1 x 4 ohm cab using one of the speaker outs, would you get 300 or 600 watts?

Thanks in advance

Matthew

4. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    the double speakon is all on one channel. So you can run one speakon out to a 1210 schroeder at 4 ohm or run one out to two indivdual 8 ohm cabs which would create a 4 ohm.

Thanks

5. JahKnow

JahKnow Guest

Brian, thanks for the input. I'll be calling you somtime in the next couple weeks.
    Any other experiences?
    Johno!

6. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    'bassjam' has a Focus and a 1210 (among other goodies).
    I played through them just a little bit. They sound very good together.

7. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    I import and distribute AI in my country and I use Focus myself, and in my opinion is the best sound, warmest SS amp I have experienced comparable to my DB 680 plus Demeter VTHM 300 , besides the weight.
    Last night I play it with 2 Wayne Jones 2x10 cabs for 4 hrs non stop and she gives me the best tone and the amp is just warm after 4 hours Amazing !

I think my DB 680 plus Demeter tubes are for sale soon :)