Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AI head vs. EA head vs. QSC amp

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by JJBluegrasser, Apr 17, 2003.

1. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    Hi all,
    This is my first post on this board, so I hope it's not a stupid one:D

I am looking to build an amp for my upright (1962 Johan Rauner plywood). I have been playing bluegrass in a band for 2 years, so I've not really needed an amp. I've just been going direct into the house when we play. I recently started playing with a drummer in another project, and I just can't get my bass to sound good through the Hartke Kickback 15 I've always used for my electric bass (I know why the Hartke doesn't sound good, now I just need to replace it).

I am currently thinking of using my Fishman bass pro-eq preamp into a QSC 1450 PA amp, into either an EA or a Bergantino 2x10 cabinet. If I want that pure uncolored tone at all frequencies we're all after, isn't a PA amp the best way to go? Why would anyone use a custom bass head instead? I'm really new to this whole amp thing, so this may be a dumb question. Will I lose anything by not using an EA iAMP or AI Clarus head instead? I need to get volume sometimes, but tone and that 'real' upright sound all the time.

Also, does anyone have any thoughts on comparing the two cabinents I just mentioned?

Thanks so much for your time. Happy thumpin'!

Jason

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I use an iamp800 with EA cabs, and I can't imagine much of anything being any cleaner. I don't have a Bergantino 2x10, but I DO own a Berg 1x12. The Bergantinos are excellent cabs, but over time I've come to favor the EA cabs as being more "neutral". I haven't tried the power amp road, so I can't help you there.

3. JJBluegrasser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    Hi Chris,
    Thanks for the info. You mentioned that you use a Berg 1x12? Overall, how do you think the 1x12s compare to the 2x10s? Another option I am looking at is an EA 1x12 pushed with the same amp setup. For Upright and Electric do you prefer the 1x12? What kind of EA cabs do you run normally? Just like everybody else I'm looking for a great sound with the ability to get as loud as possible if I need it, all while only having to buy one cabinent. I guess 2 1x12 cabs would be the ideal, but that's expensive.

Thanks again for the help!

Jason

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Typically I'll use a VL208 for straight ahead jazz on DB, and a CXL 112 for doubling gigs or gigs in which more muscle is required. I blew one of the midrange drivers on my 208 at a concert last Sunday (I bought it used, so it may have already been damaged and I just didn't know it until I pushed it at the concert), so while I'm waiting for the new driver, I'm using the CXL112 on my trio gigs this weekend. It's a great speaker, and very versatile. As an example, before I got the iamp, I had to always take two cabs when I would play with my original group ( www.javamen.com ), and even then I had trouble cutting through at times. Now all I have to take is the iamp and the 112, and I've got more than enough headroom in both the amp and the speaker department.

If I were you, I'd start with a CXL112 and then wait a bit. You might not need anything else. It's the most potent cabinet I've ever seen.

5. poalf

poalf

Feb 27, 2003
    Phoenix, Az
    I'm in the middle of comparing a couple of rigs and just plugged my bass into a Yamaha mixer and then into a Crown xis 402 and then to a Raezers Edge Bass 10 and personally liked it as well if not better than going through a Fishman Pro Platium EQ into a Clarus/Bass 10. It had a little less edge, more natural.

My opinion is worth at least twice what you paid for it, but..... if I were starting to collect bass gear all over again, this is a route I would definitely consider (and am considering now). Even with a small mixer it would be certainly cheaper than a new EA or Clarus. The down side to the PA amp is the size and weight, plus the need for a mixer or a preamp adds to the clutter. (I don't think the output impedance of the Fishman is what the Crown expects, although I might have grabbed a bad cable; a still working that one).

Make sure you like the sound coming out of your pickup. A good rig only makes it louder.

6. As usual, I agree with Chris. I used to use an EA vl208. Best sounding speaker I've heard for DB. I sold it :( when I bought my cxl112. I love the 112. I would go with one and add another if you need it. I will be adding a second for electric bass gigs but for DB one is plenty.

7. JJBluegrasser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    Hey again folks,
    I really appreciate all the advice. I think I've pretty much decided to get the CXL1x12. It sounds like it'll be a killer cabinet.
    I have another question that is related, but my not be appropriate for this forum, but I figured I'd ask it anyway. My guess is that you all are pretty knowledgeable about alot of things, so you'll probably know. While my main goal is to build a bass rig for my upright and electric basses, I have lately been playing with this terrific singer/songwriter and I would love to be able to hook up 1 large diaphram condensor microphone through a simple mixer, set it in front of us and amplify the whole sound with my new bass rig. That's one of the reasons why I'm looking at the EA stuff. My understanding is that the EA cabs are full range. Do you think that this setup will work, or am I likely to be disappointed? I'm not looking to amplify large shows or anything, just my bass, a guitar, and a singer.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Jason