1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AI or EA

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by logdrum, May 4, 2019.

Tags:
  1. logdrum

logdrum Formerly known as noelpaz Supporting Member

I already have the MLine Wizzy 12 and the 10 Wizzy. Currently my only D amp is a Carvin. I was just this close checking out the Doubler but then I started reading about AI amps and combos at Golihur. I will be calling or emailing @Mark Gollihur as well. I also play the electric .

I have a Remic, FC, BP 100 and an AKG contact. I am partial to the EA cause I know it and I can run my 2 EA 4 ohm cabs safely. The feature set I'd like to compare are the phase controls, HPF, notch filter and MBOLness. Arco sound is also a consideration. I also have an EBD2.

Thanks in advance.

Oh yeah Carvin is hissy now. It's the B1000

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  2. Jim Dedrick

Jim Dedrick Jim Dedrick Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Port Deposit, MD
    I went through the same choice about a year ago. The guys a Gollihur were great and suggested I try one and if I don’t like it to send it back and try the other. I started with the AI Clarus 2 channel and liked it so much I never bothered to try the EA. It sounds great paired with the Genzler 12-3SLT. I play about 90% DB and rarely use a slab for a gig. Ive been thinking about getting an EA as well as a backup with a different cab.

3. logdrum

Cool. I did not know that the Clarus is officially 2 ohm capable. The only thing I want to know is how adjustable is the HPF and the Phase control.

Randy Ward likes this.
  4. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    AI
    • Low Cut Filter: -12 dB/octave sweepable from 30-150 Hz THe Phase is a Reverse switch.
    EA

• High pass filter with three cutoff frequency choices per channel (allows you to reduce response below a certain frequency, to help with boomy rooms and stages)
    • Variable Phase Control 0-180 Degrees
    • Separate Notch Filter

Selim and logdrum like this.
  5. logdrum

So no notch on the AI? You really need that with the Remic and the other contact mics although I have a EBD2 which has only 18V phantom. Now I understand , why you have the Felix and the powered MAS. Sucks when your budget is capped.

6. jasonrp

jasonrp

Feb 19, 2015
    vt
    I swear by EA's doubler. With the NL 112 I'm getting MBOL (IMO) and I can dial out some of the things I don't like about my tone easily. My only complaint is that the HPF is inside the amp so I took out all but 4 of the cover screws in case I need to get in there fast. Most of the time if I'm getting feedback, I can dial it out with either the phase or notch and leave the HPF alone. As long as I think about where I'm standing, I can get plenty loud with just one cab up on a stand

Plus I love my electric tone with it

vanselus likes this.
  7. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    I know this is not exactly what you were asking but my personal opinion is I would get a good pre amp that has all those features you want and then you can plug it into anything you want.

lrhbass likes this.
  8. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
  9. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    Just trying to save you some cash although since your amp is buzzing you'll probably need a new amp anyway. Either of those you mentioned are great

10. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Supporting Member

When I saw a(nother) good deal on an EA Wizzy 12" M-line cab, which I coveted, (here in the TB classifieds) I was troubled. The Wizzy i already owned was a 4 ohm and the one for sale was a 4 ohm and my Acoustic Image Focus 1 amp v.2 said "4 ohm minimum" on the back of the amp, as did the manual.

So I did what I had done once before when I had a question about my AI amp; I picked up my phone and called Acoustic Image. Each time I was a little surprised to have the phone answered by Rick Jones, the company's founder. Each time he could not have been nicer or more patient. This time he told me that my amp would run two 4 ohm speakers with no trouble at all unless I was running it at insane levels, which I would not ever be.

Since then I've been (very happily) running my two vertically stacked EA Wizzy 12" M-lines with my Acoustic Image Focus 1 amp v.2 for both electric and upright basses and it sounds fantastic for both. When I'm playing exclusively electric (Fender passive) basses, I throw my Broughton P15 preamp in front and go in the effects return jack. Couldn't be happier and would not have dared do it without Rick Jones' OK.

Each time I've availed myself of AI's customer support, I've sheepishly told Rick that I kinda feel bad because I've never spent a dime with his company, I bought the amp used and it's performed flawlessly for years. He just laughs.

So, I'll say it again: You can't get better customer support than from Acoustic Image. And their products are pretty great, too.

Rice, Randy Ward, rllefebv and 4 others like this.
  11. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    With my Powered MAS 1/8 (Ice Power Module) the EDB-2 actually has more gain than the Grace Felix. So the 18v Phantom is compensated to some degree, by the line out. AI used to have a switch that toggled the filter between notch and Low Cut.

12. logdrum

I am ready for an amp upgrade. People who know me would say why not mesa. I do have a good pre-amp (I think ) already EBD-2. Might as well have an amp that can also do something similar if the pre-went down. The best pre looks like the Grace Felix but I need an amp also and I promised myself nothing over 1K. If it's not obvious I am in 2 locations, so I need another SS amp and might as well go light. I bought a pedal amp but it crapped on me. I decided no more heavy tube bass amps for gigging. I am keeping a couple of them as a mementos really.

13. If my Walter Woods ever gives in, I am set on getting an AI Clarus. It seems to have alle the features I could wish for. I am probably where, if I need a notch filter, I am probably playing too loud. I then prefer the more variable hpf.
    But ofcourse I am curious if anyone has experience with a side by side comparison of the Doubler and Clarus. My guess is that they probably sound pretty similar "in neutral", both aiming for a flat, uncoloured sound.

14. neddyrow

neddyrow Captain of Team Orange Jacket Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    Both

Rice, logdrum and Povl Carstensen like this.
  15. neddyrow

neddyrow Captain of Team Orange Jacket Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    i'd go AI for what you are describing.

16. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    I own and use both (older versions Doubler and Focus 2) and think they are both great. The EA may be a bit punchier with BG. I'd try both before deciding.

Povl Carstensen and Ric Vice like this.
  17. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Like Eric Says, their both great. I think in my case, since I frequently double, I'd go with the EA. It's also slightly less expensive than the Clarius 4Plus.

18. kerrycares

kerrycares Lover of God, People , Music and Bass Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Michigan
    Here’s another option.
    Aguilar Tonehammer 700.
    I’ve owned all three units and over the years AI has been my go to amp for exclusive upright bass and every version gets better.
    I just got the EA Doubler 2 and it covers doubling better with more bells and whistles.
    The Tonehammer covers both with fewer bells and whistles.
    I found the last version of the Clarus to be a bit “dark” for my upright.
    If I had to cast a vote “today” for doubling , EA gets the nod.
    Now after visiting my buddies house and playing his EA Wizzy 10” and 12” I’m gassing for a Wizzy 10” because I like matching manufacturers heads with their cabs.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  19. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    The thing I've always heard about Acoustic Image is that they're like a Woods built with stock, rather than custom, parts. Which speaks pretty highly, my Woods is going on 25 years now with ZERO issues. Although I don't use it a lot, it still gets out and about.
    Everything I have heard about customer service echoes what Keyser was saying up there, just top notch. Like Povel here, if and when the Woods gives up the ghost, AI is going to be the first amp I check out...

Povl Carstensen likes this.
  20. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Walter's amps have a "zing" in the lower midrange, that other's do not. Even my Grace Felix (which is fantastic, by the way) cannot duplicate that. That said, AI's customer service is un paralleled in the
    bass amplifier buisness. Walter built/builds his amps from scratch, including the power supply, and power amp. That's why if you "pop the top" you'll see the preamp mounted vertically on the front pannel
    and the power amplifier mounted horizontally in back of it.

logdrum and Povl Carstensen like this.