Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AI: some useful Clarus info

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slinkp, Nov 12, 2004.

1. slinkp

slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    I wrote to Acoustic Image last night with some questions about the second-hand Clarus I bought. Got a response this morning with great answers! I thought this might be informative for other Clarus owners....

My questions:

1) Is warranty available for second-hand clarus amps?

response:
    We will honor your warranty

2) Have you tried running your amps in places with poor wiring? I'm not gigging currently, but when I do I frequently play in pretty funky places. I've heard of people having problems with switching power amps (stewart, walter woods, qsc powerlight) in rooms where the line voltage is low (like 100 volts). In some cases if the line voltage is weak enough, the amp will not turn on at all. Do you know if the Clarus is susceptible to these issues?

response: The Clarus has a linear power supply, it's the power amp that is a
    switching type. It will operate down to 95V but it may be pretty funky
    below 100V.

3) The DI is pretty nice. I'd like to occasionally run it in the studio without driving a cabinet. Is it safe to run the Clarus with no cabinet, as long as I "make sure the AC power is off before connecting or disconnecting speakers"?

response: You can run the Clarus without a load if you turn the master level all
    the way off when operating it that way. The master level control does not
    affect the direct out.

2. Yes, Rick Jones is a great guy. I had a couple of questions regarding my IA Focus and he responded very fast.

3. brooklynbassguy

brooklynbassguy Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    Yes, Rick is very cool, and responds not matter how whacky my questions. He just gave me some very impressive specs on clarus amp damping factors. No wonder it sounds great with efficient cabs. It also true that it doesn't like low and funky line voltage. The qsc does quite well, and my ebs fafners died from it...