Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AI users ... please help!

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by bassdogEmer, Mar 11, 2006.

1. bassdogEmer

bassdogEmer

Sep 14, 2005
    San Francisco
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie Amps, Bag end,Thomastik - Infeld Strings
    hi all - my GK was messed up by the airlines and I need to buy a new amp. I have enough bread for the AI Clarus - the single chanel - basically bottom of the line amp AI makes. Everyone on TB for the most part raves bout these amps and I DO have a Bagend 12' cabinet that I could use... is this a good purchase?? and what I really would like to know is if you all think the small single chanel amp is loud enough and sounds good enough or do I really need to get the Focus or dual chanel amp. I know the two chanels affords more options for micing etc.. but for me thats impractical and I am just trying to figure out if ALL AI amps are great or just a few??
    any and help is much appreciated!!
    thanks
    bassdog

2. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    The sound from a single-channel, no-reverb AI Clarus is JUST AS GOOD as from ANY OTHER amp they make. Where Acoustic Image is concerned, there is no bottom of the line product!

If all you're using is a Bag End 1x12, and you only need to use one pickup, then there is no reason you should need more than the Clarus 1.

3. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    I would think you'd be very happy with the Clarus through a Bag End 12. I play a Clarus SL through a Wizzy 12, and love it to death for both DB and slab (although I am leaning towards getting an iAmp head and going all-EA ...). My Christopher laminated bass with an Underwood sounds very good through my rig, and for slab I add in my Sansamp.

Best of luck!

4. bassdogEmer

bassdogEmer

Sep 14, 2005
    San Francisco
    Whats the difference?? the SL is more expensive but looks to have less in the way of tone control?? Can you guys give your two cents on the differences??

5. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    If I did it agian I'd be tempted to get the two-channel amp, with a microphone input. Sometimes that gives you the best sound.

6. bassdogEmer

bassdogEmer

Sep 14, 2005
    San Francisco
    sorry can you explain what this statement means??? you have a Clarus but would get an SL??? I am trying to figure out which one to get and what the difference is between the focus - Clarus nd Clarus SL series???

7. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    The Clarus SL is just a lighter version of the Clarus 1 with less features. You don't get the notch filter, for example. They charge more, I think, because it's lighter and smaller. I wouldn't get it instead of a Clarus 1. And I wouldn't get a Clarus 2 over a Clarus 1 unless you need the two channels (like, you have both a transducer and a microphone and want to blend them, or you switch between two basses and want a dedicated channel for each so you can make a fast switch).

The Focus just adds more power if you need it. That's it. The AI sound is the AI sound ...

Any dealers in your area?? It'd be worth it to see if you can find one to give it a try with your Bag End ...

Good Luck!
    Liam

8. jlilley

jlilley Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2005
    Mill Creek, WA
    I've been using an old AI clarus with a Bag End 10, with both my American Standard and my slab and I couldn't be happier. Unless you need the extra input, there is no reason you shouldn't be happy with a clarus.
    Best-
    John

9. brooklynbassguy

brooklynbassguy Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    I've had clarus for years and love it, as does my wife with keyboards. I've used it with a wizzy, and that combo is great. I'm not crazy about the bag end 12. The wizzy has better low end response, and a fuller sound. I also much prefer using my dtar solstice as a preamp over my ai's front end. My taste are bias as I've used the dtar on the road for a few years and love it's sound.
    YMMV.